Re-applicant Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viva Terlingua

Pico, let's go up to Zuma
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, hows the current cycle treating everybody?

Third attempt and the process hasn't gotten any less nerve-wracking.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
This could be me next year if I bomb this semester! >: (

Reactions: 1 users
Second time applying here. Had an interview last week at Louisville, hoping for the best!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Second time around for me. Really hoping that "Third Time's A Charm" won't be my future!!! :confused:

Reactions: 7 users
Second time applying. I've got 2 interviews at Louisville and MUSC

I'm not even going to say lol but I'll support your group!

Haven't heard from the school I was waitlisted at last year. Haven't heard from any schools. I feel doomed

Been here too long !

Reactions: 6 users
I kinda lost count ! 4th time I think .. .

Reactions: 8 users
hang in there!! this cycle is the one, and if its not make big changes for the following year!!

this is my 3rd cycle! 2 interviews 1 pre dec its doable.
keep your chin up and keep pushing foward

Reactions: 3 users
My 2nd cycle. 2 interviews so far. Hang in there guys!

I love your persistence! Keep it up. Sending good vibes your way :)

Members don't see this ad :)
LETS GO RE--APPLICANTS . . . Come on in this wagon .. . forget those 1st time applicants who get in easy with smartypants scores. . . . while us EXPERIENCED real life hard workers wait here for the acceptance .. .

:confused::confused::wow::confused::confused:

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

:help::help::help::help::help::help:

:biglove::biglove::biglove:

Reactions: 5 users
Do any of the re-applicants believe in this " HOLISTIC" review schools do?

It seems that all applications are scanned for certain scores 1st...

After talking to different schools, every school seem to say the same the same thing year after year . . .

--We are unable to talk about individual applications,

--Our average score is .. . .

-- based on your the DAT...

-- Your GPA is competitive...

-- There is a relationship of DAT scores to Dental student success rate. . .

And by the way .. . I have nearly 20 years of dental experience, clinically and with administration. .. .

There is a problem in this system in which these schools choose enrollee students .. .

the average age is between 20 and 23 years old.... Mostly White, then Asian,.... Hispanics and Blacks have such a low percentage of acceptances . . .

The US population is not Mostly White or Asian .. .

The " Holistic" the schools are talking about and are using is really not holistic . . . .

I just got off the phone with a DS, and they said they do holistic reviews. . . and then they tell me that everything looks good except the DAT .. just speaken my mind here .. . .

Reactions: 1 user

After talking to different schools, every school seem to say the same the same thing year after year . . .

And by the way .. . I have nearly 20 years of dental experience, clinically and with administration. .. .

There is a problem in this system in which these schools choose enrollee students .. .

the average age is between 20 and 23 years old.... Mostly White, then Asian,.... Hispanics and Blacks have such a low percentage of acceptances . . .

The " Holistic" the schools are talking about and are using is really not holistic . . . .

I just got off the phone with a DS, and they said they do holistic reviews. . . and then they tell me that everything looks good except the DAT .. just speaken my mind here .. . .
Sometimes people's opinions about race and education make no sense. I understand you say that the races are unequally represented. However, the asians, caucasians, hispanics, and blacks are given equal opportunity to present themselves as competitive as possible for the application process. However, you are getting upset that the asians and caucasians comprise most of the students in dental school classes. Is that their fault that they have presented themselves more competitively than a counterpart who happens to be hispanic/black? Although schools strive to make their classes diverse, their primary goal is to fill the class with the best applicants. At times diversity gets sacrificed to have the best class profile a school can have. This doesn't really imply that they're biased with ethnicity representation. It just happens that the best applicants happened to be of a certain race/ethnicity.

I don't think the schools primarily care about representing America as a whole. Their primary objective at the end of the day is accepting promising candidates and producing successful doctors.

Last edited:
Sometimes people's opinions about race and education make no sense. I understand you say that the races are unequally represented. However, the asians, caucasians, hispanics, and blacks are given equal opportunity to present themselves as competitive as possible for the application process. However, you are getting upset that the asians and caucasians comprise most of the students in dental school classes. Is that their fault that they have presented themselves more competitively than a counterpart who happens to be hispanic/black? Although schools strive to make their classes diverse, their primary goal is to fill the class with the best applicants. At times diversity gets sacrificed to have the best class profile a school can have. This doesn't really imply that they're biased with ethnicity representation. It just happens that the best applicants happened to be of a certain race/ethnicity.

I don't think the schools primarily care about representing America as a whole. Their primary objective at the end of the day is accepting promising candidates and producing successful doctors.

It is not about the race .. .
Holistically, would be an overall assessment of each applicant in their own way, without comparing one to the others based on scores only. . .

It is obvious a person whom is traditional ;; HS then Undergraduate student, then DS applicant then DS. . . will have competitive edge with scores. . . but with other real life or professional experience they might lack. . . .

For example yourself, the first thing you picked up was the RACE card .. .

DS DO NOT REVIEW HOLISTICALLY PERIOD

It is not about the race .. .
Holistically, would be an overall assessment of each applicant in their own way, without comparing one to the others based on scores only. . .

It is obvious a person whom is traditional ;; HS then Undergraduate student, then DS applicant then DS. . . will have competitive edge with scores. . . but with other real life or professional experience they might lack. . . .

For example yourself, the first thing you picked up was the RACE card .. .

DS DO NOT REVIEW HOLISTICALLY PERIOD
You.... put... race in this lolll you mentioned it in your original post. I just expanded on it because you said asians and caucausians have more "acceptances" than Hispanic and black. Undermining the applicants competitive nature and pulling the race card. It is true the Hispanic and black population are undermined in the healthcare professions. However, why does race matter if one applicant is more competitive than the other. It shouldn't.

You.... put... race in this lolll you mentioned it in your original post. I just expanded on it because you said asians and caucausians have more "acceptances" than Hispanic and black. Undermining the applicants competitive nature and pulling the race card. It is true the Hispanic and black population are undermined in the healthcare professions. However, why does race matter if one applicant is more competitive than the other. It shouldn't.

My focus, is on the Holistic review process.

There may be a common theme they are going after, but every schools is a bit different. Some schools really do look for someone who's well rounded, and want to diversify their student pool. On the other hand, some schools might be looking for specific stats. If ANY school wanted to pick the brightest book smarts, there will be a lot of school that will have GPA/DAT scores close to UCLA and harvard.

But it's safe to say that if you have GPA/DAT/EC's to back it up, it will make the process of finding the perfect match a lot easier because then you wouldn't get cut off before you are able to do a sales pitch for yourself at the interview.

Just hang in there. I was in the same position as you were in and I got in on my second try. I hated the interview process and I thought it was all a bs, but afterall, all your efforts will pay off. I promise.

About the race thing, white and asians kids are proportionally dominant in medical and dental schools, but their applied/enrolled ration is not as high as minorities. Asians are not considered minorities in medical field, so they are reverse-discriminated, which means they have to perform above average to be deemed competitive.

One month to go, re-applicants! Hope everyone ITT gets some good news on D-Day.

Hey everybody! Did anyone get some life-changing news today?

I'm sure my LoR writers are as happy as I am.

I'm not a reapplicant but I may become one. I just got waitlisted from NYU. I'm not entitled to be accepted or anything and I understand that my GPA is perhaps a bit weak; it just hurts a bit. I guess I need to try to work hard this semester and not ruin the trend I built last year.

Hey everybody! Did anyone get some life-changing news today?

I'm sure my LoR writers are as happy as I am.

Re-applicant here.

I luckily got accepted to all four schools that I interviewed at (UNLV, Western, UoP, and MWU-AZ).

I'm super happy!

Congrats @Viva Terlingua !!!

Last edited:
I'm not a reapplicant but I may become one. I just got waitlisted from NYU. I'm not entitled to be accepted or anything and I understand that my GPA is perhaps a bit weak; it just hurts a bit. I guess I need to try to work hard this semester and not ruin the trend I built last year.
You'll be fine, my friend.
I, however, will be a member of this thread very soon LOL. It's my first time applying but since both my GPA and DAT aren't that competitive... I got nothing pre-December.
Hopefully, I can do well on my DAT retake in January and post-baccs in Spring.

Re-applicant here.

Last year, I applied to four CA schools only to get one interview at USC(I never got accepted).

This year I applied to 7 schools and today I got accepted to all four that I interviewed at (UNLV, Western, UoP, and MWU-AZ).

I'm super happy!

Congrats @Viva Terlingua !!!
Yay you!

Its a pretty ****ty feeling being in limbo, I know - but theres still a long way to go for this cycle, especially with your DAT score. I bet you'll end up with some good news before long.

Hi there! I'm a re-applicant this cycle and I didn't get any interviews yet but I'm trying to stay positive!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I guess I need to postbacc/masters. Some schools mentioned my gpa being a bit low. I want to get in now though. I applied to almost 30 schools and went on 6 interviews. Maybe I need to find someone to help me interview better? I thought I wasn't bad after the first two but I guess I'm ****.

I guess I need to postbacc/masters. Some schools mentioned my gpa being a bit low. I want to get in now though. I applied to almost 30 schools and went on 6 interviews. Maybe I need to find someone to help me interview better? I thought I wasn't bad after the first two but I guess I'm ****.

I've been rooting for you for quite some time this cycle because I know you really want this. Don't falter now! There's so much I want to say but I'm gonna PM you tomorrow because I'm really tired right now. So look out for a message from me! :)

you did 6. here i am with 8 interviews. I need to improve my interview skills. I did great in all of my interviews. i received interviews from all the schools that i applied to. I am working as a front desk receptionist to improve my communication skills and to build up confidence. I am so depressed and want to die. why do schools value so much interview performance that they don't even look at my overall great application which landed me 10 interviews?

you did 6. here i am with 8 interviews. I need to improve my interview skills. I did great in all of my interviews. i received interviews from all the schools that i applied to. I am working as a front desk receptionist to improve my communication skills and to build up confidence. I am so depressed and want to die. why do schools value so much interview performance that they don't even look at my overall great application which landed me 10 interviews?

I think those skills are built up over a period of time and with a lot of practice, you are not alone. I work front desk as well and even though I try to come off as calm cool and collected, I keep interupting the customers lol and not because I want to. Its the nervousness/confidence issue

Sometimes I don't even think it's about the interview. The interview isn't always the determining factor. There are probably people who go in confidently and perform excellent, but get waitlisted/denied. And then there are people who think they did crap, but luckily get accepted. You never know with this process o_O I think applying to dental school is 75% hard work and 25% luck.

We cry together. I'd kill for one more interview right now but I know I'm not getting it. I'm disgusted with myself and this cycle. It's not all about Stats and the paper application; but Im just disappointed I can't get in with a 23. Am I too young and naive? I don't even know maybe I'm just an undesirable turd that doesn't deserve an acceptance. My parents make me feel more like **** every single day.

Sometimes I don't even think it's about the interview. The interview isn't always the determining factor. There are probably people who go in confidently and perform excellent, but get waitlisted/denied. And then there are people who think they did crap, but luckily get accepted. You never know with this process o_O I think applying to dental school is 75% hard work and 25% luck.
Dental school is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain, and a hundred percent reason to apply next application cycle.

Reactions: 10 users
Dental school is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain, and a hundred percent reason to apply next application cycle.

If I could like this a million times, I so would.

Though, if anyone is also in my position still playing the waiting game since June, I would say that percentage of pain is a bit more inflated ;)

I understand that it is frustrating and very discouraging to think about having to go through with this whole process again but now is not the time to tear yourselves down it is the time to reflect on your weaknesses and strengthen them. The first cycle I applied I literally watched everyone I applied with from my undergrad get in when I had zero interviews. When I finally got an interview I bombed it and had to reapply the following cycle. I strengthened my app and when I got an interview the next cycle I felt confident because I had experience that not all of my fellow interviewees had. If this is something you really want you can be patient for another year while you work on yourself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone. I'm interested in applying for Ph.D. psychology programs, and I haven't had much luck yet with admissions, so I've decided to create an online support group for applicants, both those who've applied before (and didn't get accepted) and those brand new to the process. Please feel free to contact me either by replying to this message or through a personal message if you want more information about the support group website. Support and general kindness can feel very helpful when dealing with graduate school admissions rejection, and I don't think the benefits of it are program (e.g. psychology, pre-dental, or anything else) specific.