BelieveMeChile

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Although I have an interview scheduled for the end of this month, I'm preparing myself (as any neurotic pre-med would) for the possibility of needing to re-apply next cycle, and wanted to see how people handled having to re-apply.

What have you specifically done to make yourself a better applicant this cycle? What do you think went wrong last cycle? I'd love to hear all about it from you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Marrowist

Bone Boy
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I am enrolled in classes this fall and next spring, and will continue my volunteering and shadowing opportunities.

Reactions: BelieveMeChile
About the Ads
OP
BelieveMeChile

BelieveMeChile

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm not a re-applicant, but after following these threads closely for sometime, the biggest reasons for re-applicants are 1) applying late, 2) not applying broadly, and 3) metrics (low gpa/MCAT).

I think you have these down + an II already. You shouldn't worry about the "what ifs" until the time comes. Every person and situation is unique, so one persons re-application strategy may be totally unapplicable to you.
Focus all of your energy and rocking your app process now and hopefully (most likely) you won't be in that position.
I understand, I'm just preparing myself for any possible contingency. I'm nipping it in the bud, so to speak. Thanks for your response :)

Reactions: MADD!!!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
The most common causes for rejection that are fixable in a cycle are:

GPA
MCAT score
volunteering hours
osteopathic exposure
application timing

Although I have an interview scheduled for the end of this month, I'm preparing myself (as any neurotic pre-med would) for the possibility of needing to re-apply next cycle, and wanted to see how people handled having to re-apply.

What have you specifically done to make yourself a better applicant this cycle? What do you think went wrong last cycle? I'd love to hear all about it from you guys!

Reactions: BelieveMeChile

Marrowist

Bone Boy
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
What range of volunteering hours is needed for the "wow factor" ?

prewannabedrJack

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
What range of volunteering hours is needed for the "wow factor" ?
It seems the number only goes up every year, going to your question, although the quantitative factor is important, remember not to discard the qualitative, I'm sure adcoms won't be to impressed with somebody who has 1000 hospital gift shop hours vs 500 ER hours, I'm shooting for 1k before I apply, if your trying to get anywhere near that range you have to be doing it for at least 2.5 years, twice a week, 4 hour shifts (common).

About the Ads