Re: Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicineman20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I finish my MCAT on saturday, I am now starting the application process. How do D.O schools look at an individual who taken the MCAT for the third time? However, my application looks very good in the realm of nonacademic learning i.e Community service, Patient exposure,Physician Shadowing, and leadership.

P.S no and websites that can help write a good personal statements :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Medicineman20 said:
Ok so I finish my MCAT on saturday, I am now starting the application process. How do D.O schools look at an individual who taken the MCAT for the third time? However, my application looks very good in the realm of nonacademic learning i.e Community service, Patient exposure,Physician Shadowing, and leadership.

P.S no and websites that can help write a good personal statements :cool:

I start this with the same thing I start all comments I make about these types of threads: I am not an ADMIN. That out of the way, I would want to know if you improved any and how much after all the tests. I think that is the most important question. From what I read, the jury is still out on what option medical schools use the most when it comes to repeat MCATers; i.e., taking an average, only taking the highest score or looking at trends.

I took the MCAT 4 times and got into DMU. The first 3 times were in the early 90s. On the forth time my composite went up considerably. Had a bit above average GPA and clincial experience as a RN in the ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT scores were relatively low the last two times, 17 and a 23 :eek: , I am still waiting on the April results

Medicineman20 said:
My MCAT scores were relatively low the last two times, 17 and a 23 :eek: , I am still waiting on the April results

Hey medicineman,

So speaking from personal experience, i took the MCAT 3 times because of a program i was in and a score i needed to get. I got basically the same score 3 times 26, 26, 27 lol :) With DO schools it didnt hurt one bit because I was accepted to every DO school i applied to ....except PCOM because I applied to late and didnt know if i wanna go there. With MD schools it was a bigger issue but on DO interviews only a few times they asked why i did it. I had a good story for them......about persistence, learning time mgmt skills, and learning to balance priorities. Make sure u have a lot of other things to back up your application and come up with a good story :).

PM me if you need more details or have more questions.

-Polina