Re-apply before Master's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2312_Lib

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to reapply to medical school this cycle while I complete my masters of biomedical sciences program.

My first time applying, my GPA (~3.0) and MCAT (~490) were not competitive but my GPA did show an upward trend by the time I graduated. I've done a lot of research and got published, have great extracurriculars and volunteering hours.

I took a gap year to retake some prereqs and did some more research, volunteering, and studying for my MCAT in July. Recently, I got accepted into a masters program at GCSOM which I plan to attend.

I definitely see improvement in my MCAT studying (I took a baseline test with the AAMC 1 full length after my MCAT prep course and got to ~500). I've been reviewing and practicing taking tests for a couple of weeks now with AAMC material and I continue to see improvements. My goal is to definitely get a 502 or higher.

My concern now regards both my MCAT score and reapplying this cycle.

Reapply:
I don't want to take a gap year after my masters program again so I want to reapply this cycle before I start my Master's, but I have not been able to get feedback from anyone who has done this or been in a similar situation. If I continue to reapply, I would submit my med school mid/late July (which I understand is not the best case scenario). However, I plan to do exceptionally well in my masters program because I won't be distracted like I was in my first two years of college. So, I want to update my med application with my Masters progress so that I don't have 100% of the same stats I had during my first application.

MCAT: I've also been studying for a couple of months and I don't want to prolong it and keep pushing my test date and then lose stamina and get burned out. I am taking a full length later this week to see how much I've improved so I will only sit for my MCAT if I have been scoring a 502+ consistently. If I need more time, I will push the date - but then I won't get my MCAT until mid/late August.

Considering timing of the med app and reapplying before the master's - What are some thoughts/opinions/suggestions/motivation?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success. Given that we are admonished to average scores, it needs to be quite a bit higher than 502 (for MD). Multiple weak scores are far more damaging than a single such score.

Master's degree grades are not averaged into undergrad gpa at MD schools.

Avoid multiple applications.
Avoid a late, weak application.

Don't you think your gpa and mcat is kinda low for GCSOM standards. Even though you got into their master program and even though they offer a guaranteed interview doesn't mean its guaranteed seat. Don't waste $$ and another year instead study hard for MCAT and do post-bacc and increase your gpa. I'm assuming ~3.0 is close to 3.0. Apply DO route after you hit 500+ on MCAT unless you are URM.

I'm pretty sure you have to apply after you have completed the master's program. As far as grades go some schools will recalculate your GPA including your new scores will some will weigh it. It's pretty much up to the program as to how they evaluate your grad school GPA since a lot of programs inflate grad school grades. Def wait till you feel comfortable with your mcat before taking it. I took mine before I was ready and regret it.