Re-apply or Carribean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hewulfff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just got accepted to St. George's University in Grenada. I applied late as a back-up plan. I am currently waitlisted at St. Louis, Temple, and MCW, and I have no idea whether I will get into any of these schools this cycle. All I know is that I am in the second quartile of MCW's waitlist. If I didn't get in, should I just go to SGU or should I re-apply? I would probably include some DO schools this time around. If it helps, I have 3.75 cGPA, 3.76 sGPA, 31Q MCAT, with hospital volunteering, shadowing, 2 years of research with a poster presentation (but no publications), tutoring, and a couple other not-so-special ECs. Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

For the love of all that's holy don't do Carib with those stats. Oh my god seriously don't.

Read a bunch of posts in this forum to find out what to do to max out your reapplication.

Hello, I just got accepted to St. George's University in Grenada. I applied late as a back-up plan. I am currently waitlisted at St. Louis, Temple, and MCW, and I have no idea whether I will get into any of these schools this cycle. All I know is that I am in the second quartile of MCW's waitlist. If I didn't get in, should I just go to SGU or should I re-apply? I would probably include some DO schools this time around. If it helps, I have 3.75 cGPA, 3.76 sGPA, 31Q MCAT, with hospital volunteering, shadowing, 2 years of research with a poster presentation (but no publications), tutoring, and a couple other not-so-special ECs. Thanks for your feedback!

Did you apply late? If you were able to get interviews and get on the waitlist at 3 US MD schools, i would definitely apply again, earlier if that was the issue, add DO, avoid SGU if you have a shot at US MD/DO. Good Luck with the waitlists :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
For the love of all that's holy don't do Carib with those stats. Oh my god seriously don't.

Read a bunch of posts in this forum to find out what to do to max out your reapplication.

Thanks for the advice. I really don't want to go, but I have been thinking about whether it is worth the $1000 deposit to hold the spot. I have considered retaking the MCAT as well... do you think that's necessary?

Did you apply late? If you were able to get interviews and get on the waitlist at 3 US MD schools, i would definitely apply again, earlier if that was the issue, add DO, avoid SGU if you have a shot at US MD/DO. Good Luck with the waitlists :luck:

Thanks! I actually applied fairly early... June 19. My first interview was kind of bleh, my second interview sucked, but the 3rd and 4th I thought went quite well. So I ended up with a rejection and 3 WLs. I guess I need to work on interview skills :(

How many schools did you apply to, if you don't mind me asking? I have similar stats to you, and this scares the crap out of me. :scared:

Thanks! I actually applied fairly early... June 19. My first interview was kind of bleh, my second interview sucked, but the 3rd and 4th I thought went quite well. So I ended up with a rejection and 3 WLs. I guess I need to work on interview skills :(

yes yes yes, work on your interview skills. Please don't waste your spot in the class of 2016 for the biggest risk a person could take. Med school is going to be very tough and having the support system that is any US MD/DO school will be crucial compared to the faculty of carib schools which don't really care about you as an individual. Work on your interview skills, apply early, and hope for better luck.

How many schools did you apply to, if you don't mind me asking? I have similar stats to you, and this scares the crap out of me. :scared:

I listed 42 on my AMCAS, but only did 31 of the secondaries. I could have been smarter about choosing the schools, I didn't put THAT much time into it other than looking at average mcat, gpa, and whether they prefer in-state applicants. I think I left some schools out that I had a good shot at.

I listed 42 on my AMCAS, but only did 31 of the secondaries. I could have been smarter about choosing the schools, I didn't put THAT much time into it other than looking at average mcat, gpa, and whether they prefer in-state applicants. I think I left some schools out that I had a good shot at.

Yikes. Well I sure hope you get off of one of those waitlists, both for your sake and my confidence :laugh:.

I have 3.75 cGPA, 3.76 sGPA, 31Q MCAT, with hospital volunteering, shadowing, 2 years of research with a poster presentation (but no publications), tutoring, and a couple other not-so-special ECs
I actually applied fairly early... June 19.
There's something wrong with your letters or your essays. You're coming across as immature or disrespectful etc. You should have gotten more interviews, unless you only applied to top schools.
I have been thinking about whether it is worth the $1000 deposit to hold the spot.
It's not worth it.
I have considered retaking the MCAT as well... do you think that's necessary?
No. 31Q isn't keeping you out.

IMHO in this thread you sound like you're taking this about as seriously as planning a trip to the mall. That's a problem.

Which ones were you thinking? Lol sorry, this thread got me in freak out mode a little bit. :(

I can't think of all of them off the top of my head (don't have MSAR book with me), but I think I should have applied to some NY state schools, Loyola, and Toledo at least.

I can't think of all of them off the top of my head (don't have MSAR book with me), but I think I should have applied to some NY state schools, Loyola, and Toledo at least.

Yea, I got ya. Thanks for the info. Good luck with your waitlists.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's something wrong with your letters or your essays. You're coming across as immature or disrespectful etc. You should have gotten more interviews, unless you only applied to top schools.

It's not worth it.

No. 31Q isn't keeping you out.

IMHO in this thread you sound like you're taking this about as seriously as planning a trip to the mall. That's a problem.

I do have one letter from my boss, who is a lawyer. Yes I know it is unrelated, but I also have sent the schools 2 supplementary letters, one from an MD I shadow and the other from a chiropractor who is in charge of a multidisciplinary healthcare center. I will admit probably 2 of the 6 letters I sent in this cycle were not quite personal. I think the new ones would replace them in a reapplication.

I don't think I sound immature or disrepectful in my PS or essays, that is one of the things I am always conscious of.

If I sound I am not taking this seriously, it is because of all the uncertainty of my situation. WL movement is unpredictable, I have to decide about the deposit in a week, and a doctor I know has suggested that I retake the MCAT. In the meantime all I can do is fill out the AMCAS for the new cycle.

I do have one letter from my boss, who is a lawyer. Yes I know it is unrelated, but I also have sent the schools 2 supplementary letters, one from an MD I shadow and the other from a chiropractor who is in charge of a multidisciplinary healthcare center. I will admit probably 2 of the 6 letters I sent in this cycle were not quite personal. I think the new ones would replace them in a reapplication.

I don't think I sound immature or disrepectful in my PS or essays, that is one of the things I am always conscious of.

If I sound I am not taking this seriously, it is because of all the uncertainty of my situation. WL movement is unpredictable, I have to decide about the deposit in a week, and a doctor I know has suggested that I retake the MCAT. In the meantime all I can do is fill out the AMCAS for the new cycle.

And there's your red flag

How do you know these letters are all positive? Somebody threw you under the bus, most likely.
Your consciousness of your tone is probably not representative of med school adcoms. If somebody older than you, faculty, physician or English professor, didn't tell you what's wrong with your essay, you don't know what's wrong with your essay.
In the meantime all I can do is fill out the AMCAS for the new cycle.
I suggest that for you to do AMCAS again, without doing a lot of investigation, and without improving your app tangibly simply because it's a reapp, you might as well buy some lottery tickets while you're at it.

Best of luck to you.

DrMidlife is quick with the responses. +1 on making sure that everyone else thinks your writing is solid.*

* - well to a certain extent you have to take people's comments with a grain of salt and oligatory your mileage may vary

How do you know these letters are all positive? Somebody threw you under the bus, most likely.

Your consciousness of your tone is probably not representative of med school adcoms. If somebody older than you, faculty, physician or English professor, didn't tell you what's wrong with your essay, you don't know what's wrong with your essay.

I suggest that for you to do AMCAS again, without doing a lot of investigation, and without improving your app tangibly simply because it's a reapp, you might as well buy some lottery tickets while you're at it.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your advice.

lawyer letter was a bad idea. the only reason to ever mention you even know a lawyer is if youre trying to scare someone. then you sent in a chiropractor letter:thumbdown:. in the future refrain from submitting letters from any of the following: chiropractors, witchdoctors, shen balancers, shamen, acupuncturists, sorcerers, astrologers, aromatherapists, magicians, or any other health care practioners who focus on magic over science.

lawyer letter was a bad idea. the only reason to ever mention you even know a lawyer is if youre trying to scare someone. then you sent in a chiropractor letter:thumbdown:. in the future refrain from submitting letters from any of the following: chiropractors, witchdoctors, shen balancers, shamen, acupuncturists, sorcerers, astrologers, aromatherapists, magicians, or any other health care practioners who focus on magic over science.

Can't help myself. Comic series poking fun at DOs...

http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20110525.gif
http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20110526.gif
http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20110527.gif
http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20110528.gif
http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20110530.gif
http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20110531.gif
http://cdn.leasticoulddo.com/comics/20110601.gif

(I'm not trying to hate on DOs, I'm actually applying DO this cycle :p)

(if you haven't already) try letters of interest to the schools.

I wouldn't do caribbean. I was in a similar situation. worse GPA better MCAT. So I would definitely reapply, and I would also contact admissions at these schools that interviewed you to see where you could improve.

also better letters of recommendation.

Retaking the MCAT would tremendously help if you improve your score even by two points. However it's a gamble that might not be worth it especially if you find that your interviewing skills is what you need help at that's fixable (I'm sure one of the schools that rejected you (especially state schools) would be receptive to reviewing your application giving you some feedback.

With your stats, I'd give the application shot another attempt. At the very least you can start caribbean in January if you don't hear anything from schools by december.

I would definitely add DO schools but most importantly get in touch with some of these schools for some feedback before you apply and you will need new personal statement and maybe add some extra currics that you've been doing while applying or do something in June and send that app in July.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that anyone necessarily "threw you under the bus" as far as letters of recommendation. I do agree that LOR's from types such as attorneys:) and chiropractors may not be that helpful. The chiropractor one may be OK depending on who is on the adcom and whether he/she feels open minded about chiropractors or not. In general the medical community is quite conservative and they probably prefer letters from professors and at least one letter from a physician if you can get one.

Definitely do practice interviewing skills, and know what your answer will be to some of the typical interview questions, such as why you want to do medicine, what are the important current issues in health care reform, what are your best/worst qualities or strengths/weaknesses. Interviewing well is a skill that you can learn.

Definitely do call up the schools where you got interviews this year, say that you really liked their school, you were disappointed you didn't get in, etc. and then ask what you can do to improve your application.

Improving the MCAT score would probably help, but if your score drops it could hurt you so if you plan to do it I would start studying now.

You need to keep on with medically related volunteer work.

Definitely do have someone review your essay...though it may not be the issue.

One thing you have to guard against is being seen as the "average applicant". Try to think of things that make your application unique, that make you a good fit for particular schools, etc. so that you can sell yourself.

I do not think you should bail for the Caribbean at this point. They will still take you in 6 months or a year if things turn out badly for you up here, but it's suboptimal. It makes it much harder to get a good residency, and the education will be equally or more expensive down there. The 3rd/4th year hospital rotations are really important and I don't think premeds fully understand how important they are, and some of the Caribbean schools just don't really have good ones or well organized ones (though SGU is probably OK in that regard).

I am surprised no one asked this yet but OP did you call the schools and find out what was weak on your application? This would be the best way to find out what was wrong. Since you have applied to 42 schools (31 secondaries), there should be a few who can point out the weak areas in your application.