Re-apply while going for my masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeriousPreDent

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I'm not the most positive person right now so it looks like I'm going to have to go for my masters (which I don't mind) and reapply to dschools. My question is...my masters will take about a year full time, should i wait till I'm done with my masters and then reapply or should i just reapply and let the schools know that i'm completing my masters? I would like to do them both at the same time b/c I feel like i'm just wasting time otherwise, but i don't want to waste money too....any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

SeriousPreDent said:
Well guys, I'm not the most positive person right now so it looks like I'm going to have to go for my masters (which I don't mind) and reapply to dschools. My question is...my masters will take about a year full time, should i wait till I'm done with my masters and then reapply or should i just reapply and let the schools know that i'm completing my masters? I would like to do them both at the same time b/c I feel like i'm just wasting time otherwise, but i don't want to waste money too....any advice is greatly appreciated.

It looks like I might be in this situation also. Although I'm still waiting to hear from a school I interviewed at, it doesn't look great. If I don't get in, I plan on reapplying this June (while starting a 1 yr masters). I should be able to get one or two interviews after the fall semester of masters (my gpa will be 3.0 after this semester, and i plan on retaking the DAT). I will only apply to like 5 schools. Kicking butt next year combined w/ 20+ DAT I believe should give me a good chance of getting in....I would assume the same goes for others in my position.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of masters are you guys going for?

Members don't see this ad :)
drpduck said:
It looks like I might be in this situation also. Although I'm still waiting to hear from a school I interviewed at, it doesn't look great. If I don't get in, I plan on reapplying this June (while starting a 1 yr masters). I should be able to get one or two interviews after the fall semester of masters (my gpa will be 3.0 after this semester, and i plan on retaking the DAT). I will only apply to like 5 schools. Kicking butt next year combined w/ 20+ DAT I believe should give me a good chance of getting in....I would assume the same goes for others in my position.

Yes, enroll in school! Study and retake the DAT if you need higher scores.

Reapply to dental school.

If you want dentistry as a career never give up! You will get in!

Fullosseousflap said:
Yes, enroll in school! Study and retake the DAT if you need higher scores.

Reapply to dental school.

If you want dentistry as a career never give up! You will get in!
I think the question was if he/she was to re-apply, when should the do it? If you apply in June and you start your masters in september, the schools will not know if you have been successful or not. If you wait a year they will have all of your coursework from your masters. You don't want to waiste a year, but you don't want to apply prematurely and not get in again.

did any of you guys thought about PostBacs, many schools have them... UConn, OSU, Nova to name a few.

Kiluminati said:
I think the question was if he/she was to re-apply, when should the do it? If you apply in June and you start your masters in september, the schools will not know if you have been successful or not. If you wait a year they will have all of your coursework from your masters. You don't want to waiste a year, but you don't want to apply prematurely and not get in again.

I suppose it depends on your course load in this spring semester and how the grades will improve your GPA.

I would stay in school and attempt another degree and YES you tell the dental schools that you are continuing in school.

A whole bunch of students did this in the 70's when it was more competitive to get into dental and medical school. Some finished up their Masters, some went off-shore and some were accepted and had an extra year of upper graduate level coursework.

It really depends on how deficient your grades and DAT Scores are.

Hey guys:

So what masters programs is everyone considering...biology, biomedical sciences, public health? Obviously the objective is to get the best grades possible, but, would anything other than a 4.0 hurt you considering this is graduate work?

thanks!

lake04 said:
Hey guys:

So what masters programs is everyone considering...biology, biomedical sciences, public health? Obviously the objective is to get the best grades possible, but, would anything other than a 4.0 hurt you considering this is graduate work?

thanks!

i thought masters programs were 2 yrs?

Not all masters are.......check out the Post-Bacc Forum.. I've asked about one year masters plus there is plenty other information in them.

I just applied for a two-years masters degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology. As of this point, I plan on finishing both years before reapplying to dental school, but that may change. I'm applying for a graduate assistantship doing research and teaching undergrad labs while doing this so that I get free tuition plus a small salary. Hopefully I'll be able to get it and get back on the right path after applying to d-school twice and not getting in anywhere.

Kiluminati said:

thats exactly what i'm asking, i'm going for my masters in bio and i guess i'll just need to call the schools up and see what they say...

Sloppy: You have applied twice and not gotten in yet? What are your stats like and where have u applied? Any interviews? What did you do btw the 1st and 2nd cycle to improve upon your application file? Since you've been in the admissions cycle what is your knowledge of certain schools like NYU, BU, Tufts, USC in terms of waiting list (particularly for NYU), and available seats?

Thanks!

sorry for all the questions =)

I was in a situation like that last year - ended up on wait lists and didn't get in. I applied to the basic medical sciences program at wayne state university's school of medicine and got in. basically you take what you want in the med school's graduate programs . . . i took biochem, physio 1 & 2, micro, pharm, and cancer bio. i reapplied this year and have interviews - it is hard because the schools want new letters from current profs, so I couldn't apply until the end of december once the semester was over with. i kept a 3.0 taking 11 grad credits, which really impressed the schools. it sure made up for my undergrad.

it really shows them interest if you keep trying.