Re-applying for Anes tips and method to beef up application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Castlehill2245

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted some tips on re-applying if it comes to it. I only received 2 interviews, I know not good, I shot myself in the foot with a one point "L"on step 2 the first time. Since then I passed and hit the 80 mark for the exam. I have a good feel about my preliminary interviews, which were more numerous than my Anes interviews, so I was wondering what I could do if I don't match. I am sure that I will get one of my pre-liminary, and I need a means to increase my chance for matching the second time around.

Thanks

:) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks,

I am really interested in Baystate's Anes. program. If you have any insight I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Castlehill2245 said:
I was wondering what I could do if I don't match.

There were numerous anesthesia spots available in the scramble last year. No reason to think that this won't happen again. If you are serious about Anesthesiology, but don't match, you still have an excellent chance of getting a spot that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could also scramble to a general surgery spot, build a relationship with the anesthesiology department, then switch over. There were quite a few general surgery spots available, if a prelim spot doesn't work out.

If you don't match, whatever field you choose to go to, be it medicine or surgery or whatever, make sure you don't act like a lame duck in the program. Drive yourself to excel and get strong letters of rec from your attendings, showing you are a strong clinician and can make a great anesthesiologist.

IIRC last year there were more open spots to scramble into for Gas than for categorical General surgery.. Would probably be easier to scramble the gas route. Plus, no need to take a categorical spot in GS with absolutely no intention of completing the training.

Year Open spots Unmatched US Seniors
2005 53 98
2004 80 14
2003 115 25

2005 was the first year there were more unmatched US seniors than open spots. But even last year, there was still a decent number of open spots in the scramble.

UTSouthwestern said:
You could also scramble to a general surgery spot, build a relationship with the anesthesiology department, then switch over. There were quite a few general surgery spots available, if a prelim spot doesn't work out.

If you don't match, whatever field you choose to go to, be it medicine or surgery or whatever, make sure you don't act like a lame duck in the program. Drive yourself to excel and get strong letters of rec from your attendings, showing you are a strong clinician and can make a great anesthesiologist.

That is great advice. Work hard and hit the ground running. If you do not match you will have a few months to make a good impression on your attendings.
Letters seem to become very important once you leave med school.
The ideal situation would be that you are such a good intern that the program that you are at offers to extend your contract past the initial year.
I hope that you match in march. If you do not match, however, all would not be lost. At this point make sure that the programs that you interviewed with know that u are excited by the prospect of going there. Contact them before the rank order lists are sent in to the NRMP.

All the best,

CambieMD