Re-Applying Through the Match Without Finishing Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomCaRes

Reaction score
Hi all,
Sorry if this question has been answered previously (I tried to search and found nothing). Without going into a ton of detail I needed to resign from my current residency at a senior-resident level and have been unable to secure a spot to transition into in the last few months. I am considering re-entering the match (both for this initial specialty as well as applying to less competitive specialties), I was just curious if this was allowed and/or if anyone had heard of this before? The specific scenario I'm curious of is - can you re-apply through the match for a residency you matched in previously?
Thanks and sorry again if this has been previously discussed, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions!
RandomCaRes

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer is yes, you can do that...

The slightly longer answer is that, while you don't need to give us the details here, you're going to need to give them in your re-application and you'll need a letter of recommendation from your old program's PD. Whether they are willing to write you a good (or at least neutral) letter and the circumstances surrounding your resignation will play a large role in whether this is a realistic path, or if you should start thinking about a different specialty.

Since you say you resigned at the Senior Resident level, I assume that's PGY-3+. It's very unlikely that any program will take you as a PGY-1 in the match. It's possible that a program might consider you as a PGY-2 if this is a field that is in the Advanced/Reserved match. But, as already mentioned, this will be an uphill path that depends on the specifics of the situation.