re: Duke MSTP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zigeroo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Duke has a question that states "To what other MSTP programs are you applying?" Do they expect us to tell them explicitly what MSTP programs we are applying to (ie. UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, ....) or are they looking for a general statement like "programs that are strong in neuroscience, ....." Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I told them explicitly what MSTP programs I applied...

did you guys get that email from the MSTP president pleading with applicants to apply? any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it might be due to not many people applying, what did you think?

the new deadline is january 2

i don't understand why they would want to ask 10 essay questions and then plead for ppl to apply. why not just not ask so many questions. i think most applicants don't have an extremely strong preference for a particular program before applying, so i think duke loses a lot of great potential students by doing things this way.

Duke has a question that states "To what other MSTP programs are you applying?" Do they expect us to tell them explicitly what MSTP programs we are applying to (ie. UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, ....) or are they looking for a general statement like "programs that are strong in neuroscience, ....." Thanks.
I would leave the question blank. At best, they don't read what you put. At worst, they'll read your response and think you're "too good" or "too bad" for them, and reject you.

It's kind of like when a prospective employer asks you what your salary should be. Do you say a high number, and hope they give it? You risk getting laughed at and not getting the job. Do you shoot low, and ensure you'll get the job? Maybe, and maybe the guy that replaces you will make 2x what you did. There's no good outcome for you.

If they call you and ask, then make up something on the phone. Besides, if they really want to know, then they can look up your AMCAS.

I guess I dont really understand why the put that question on there. I mean all of that material IS listed on the primary application from AMCAS is it not? I never heard that the list of schools you apply too is withheld from the med school.

One other comment... remember with their applicaiton fee, this is also a revenue source for them too. Not to be to cynical, but dont forget that.

actually I think schools don't see the other schools we applied to on AMCAS. At Baylor, they had a copy of our AMCAS file (according to them) in our folders, and it was exactly the same as our personal copy minus the schools section.

Except what you don't know is that the MSTPs keep a running database shared among each other about the applicants. So they know where you've also applied anyways. Why not just answer the question honestly?

Except what you don't know is that the MSTPs keep a running database shared among each other about the applicants. So they know where you've also applied anyways. Why not just answer the question honestly?

do they really? What sorts of data do they keep track of during the app cycle?

I dunno the extent of the shared information. They definately know where you're interviewing and have been accepted, that is if it gets updated regularly enough. Maybe one of the adcoms that reads this forum will chime in and say?

I dunno the extent of the shared information. They definately know where you're interviewing and have been accepted, that is if it gets updated regularly enough. Maybe one of the adcoms that reads this forum will chime in and say?

wow i don't remember signing off to that ever. don't they need some sort of release form?

OK, I'll bite. To set the record straight, AMCAS does not transmit to programs the list of schools you have applied to. Duke only knows that you applied to Duke, unless you tell them otherwise. Beginning in March, schools where you have accepted an admissions offer will be able to find out the names of other schools you have accepted offers from. (If a school has put you on a wait list, rejected you, or made an offer that you declined,your name will not be listed.) AMCAS provides this information to schools at that time to allow them to manage their waitlists. (If you have acceptances from Wayne State, Stanford, & UCSF, and have never lived outside California, the admissions folks at Wayne State may figure that you will probably withdraw you acceptance, and they will make plans to offer a position to a waitlisted applicant.) Contrary to what has been posted here numerous times, MD-PhD programs, while tight, do not routinely share information on applicants during the admissions season. It is only in the summer, after all positions have been filled, that programs share their class lists and a national MD-PhD matriculation report is compiled. There is no running database, only static data at the end of process. That static data lists the following: first name, last name, gender, citizenship, self description (race/ethnicity), MD-PhD funding source, undergrad institution, and matriculating program. No information on which programs you applied to or what the outcome of your applications were.

Neuronix, perhaps you could post this information in the sticky at the top of the forum.This issue appears in the forum with a high degree of frequency, and there are always claims by individuals not involved in MD-PhD admissions that programs circulate lists, consult on admissions decisions, etc. This is simply not true. The only way we know where you have applied, have interviewed, or have been accepted is if you tell us. In March, AAMC tells us where individuals who have accepted our offer are holding other acceptances, but nothing more. Do not take my word on this; contact your MD-PhD administrator or Gwen Garrison at AAMC for corraboration.

There you have it. Maybe I'm full of crap on this one. I will ask about it from my administrators. While I may suspect some amount of information sharing exists between some places, programs may not be particularly upfront about it. That being said, Maebea has been consistent in his explanations so maybe it's all a figment of my imagination.

*adjusting tinfoil hat*

Others have observed over the years certain adcoms knowing other places they've applied, knowing that they have an interview elsewhere on a given date, and of course, knowing where else they'd been accepted. Of course, it's all anecdote, so who knows what it all means.

In any case, thanks for biting :thumbup: I should really update the sticky anyways... Like, seriously update it. My apologies for misleading anyone if I really am full of it.

Thanks! That sets the record straight.

OK, I'll bite. To set the record straight, AMCAS does not transmit to programs the list of schools you have applied to. Duke only knows that you applied to Duke, unless you tell them otherwise. Beginning in March, schools where you have accepted an admissions offer will be able to find out the names of other schools you have accepted offers from. (If a school has put you on a wait list, rejected you, or made an offer that you declined,your name will not be listed.) AMCAS provides this information to schools at that time to allow them to manage their waitlists. (If you have acceptances from Wayne State, Stanford, & UCSF, and have never lived outside California, the admissions folks at Wayne State may figure that you will probably withdraw you acceptance, and they will make plans to offer a position to a waitlisted applicant.) Contrary to what has been posted here numerous times, MD-PhD programs, while tight, do not routinely share information on applicants during the admissions season. It is only in the summer, after all positions have been filled, that programs share their class lists and a national MD-PhD matriculation report is compiled. There is no running database, only static data at the end of process. That static data lists the following: first name, last name, gender, citizenship, self description (race/ethnicity), MD-PhD funding source, undergrad institution, and matriculating program. No information on which programs you applied to or what the outcome of your applications were.

Neuronix, perhaps you could post this information in the sticky at the top of the forum.This issue appears in the forum with a high degree of frequency, and there are always claims by individuals not involved in MD-PhD admissions that programs circulate lists, consult on admissions decisions, etc. This is simply not true. The only way we know where you have applied, have interviewed, or have been accepted is if you tell us. In March, AAMC tells us where individuals who have accepted our offer are holding other acceptances, but nothing more. Do not take my word on this; contact your MD-PhD administrator or Gwen Garrison at AAMC for corraboration.

There you have it. Maybe I'm full of crap on this one. I will ask about it from my administrators. While I may suspect some amount of information sharing exists between some places, programs may not be particularly upfront about it.

The MSTP directors have annual conferences in the summer that they probably all go to so they pretty much all know one another. I'm sure if A calls B to ask about an applicant, B will tell his buddy. Its just like any other situation where you have friends in high places. Not ethical, but what can we do?