re: graduate school marks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quartel

Mitte 1 home prn
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to graduate school soon. It's a 2 yr program. I was wondering if getting 3.7~4.0GPA in grad school would basically wash away by poor gpa in undergrad. The way I see it I cant improve my GPA unless I start fresh in grad school. Is the grad school marks all the dental schools look at? I'm sure they dont combine undergrade and graduate marks together or do they?

I'm confident I can get 3.7+ in graduate school since they pretty much hand out marks. I took a honors thesis course which is similar to a 1 yr masters program and finished with 85 so....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to graduate school soon. It's a 2 yr program. I was wondering if getting 3.7~4.0GPA in grad school would basically wash away by poor gpa in undergrad. The way I see it I cant improve my GPA unless I start fresh in grad school. Is the grad school marks all the dental schools look at? I'm sure they dont combine undergrade and graduate marks together or do they?

I'm confident I can get 3.7+ in graduate school since they pretty much hand out marks. I took a honors thesis course which is similar to a 1 yr masters program and finished with 85 so....

retake your DAT..shoot for a 20+ AA..then u should be alright

I'm already planning a retake in November but yeah I probably need really amazing scores to get in with my gpa.

I'm just not certain how AADSAS calculates this. Can I ever get away from the bad gpa that haunts me? It's not like I can submit graduate school marks alone or can I?

Hey,
Your GPA is broken down seperately on the application so they can see both. The break it down into Undergrad overall and grad overall. I know this because I am in the same boat. I started a two year masters degree because I basically thought I would never get in as it stands. I studied really hard and took the DAT twice but never scored great. My GPA in undergrad was a 3.5 but when calc on AADSAS it dropped to like a 3.2. I applied this term and was just invited on my first interview. I think it is possible that the grad GPA has helped. I can't say it is the only thing but I think it made a big difference.