Re-take classes or take new, upper-level courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JoshuaDannon

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, my GPA is a little low for some of the programs I want to get into. It is about 3.4, which isn't bad. I got B's in the chemistry sequence and physics. If I wanted to boost my gpa, should I go back and retake these and get A's? Or does it look stupid to re-take a class that I got a B in?

Also, could I take some upper level courses instead ? It seems sort of stupid to go back and crush some general level classes.

Thanks
 
Contact a handful of your target schools and see what they say. Grade replacement is handled differently everywhere.
 
If you're trying to boost your prereq GPA, then I think it's worth retaking classes. However, if you're trying to boost your overall GPA, then I think it looks better to take different courses, and especially upper division if you have that option, because you'll be learning something new and expanding your knowledge. I agree with HouseDPT that it would be great to contact your programs and see how they consider retakes which option they would value more.
 
In my opinion I think it's best to retake classes if your Pre-req GPA is in question bc it is much easier to change that. However it's not so easy to change you cGPA, I just had 9 credits of A's of summer semester and it only boosted my GPA0.03
Also I don't think most programs care too much about upper level unrelated courses, programs can only spend so much time evaluating one persons App