Re-take college algebra to prepare for GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noellehallman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am returning to school this summer to take some pre-reqs and I am in a situation and I need some advice...

I took college algebra and calculus 8 years ago during my first undergrad and received A's. I decided to sign up for college algebra this summer in hopes that it would just be an easy review course for the GRE. The class is so demanding, my teacher is horrible, and I am actually somewhat confused. I am taking chem 1 and microbiology as well and the algebra class seems to be taking up all of my time and everything is not rushing back to me like I thought it would.

I plan on taking the comprehensive Kaplan course before I take the GRE but I am kind of concerned since basic college algebra is making me scratch my head a bit!!! (I can't believe I am actually saying that...)

So, here is my question...Should I drop the class since it is not required or stick it out? Will Kaplan teach me everything I need to know for the test?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be totally DROPPING and just taking Kaplan. I hadn't had any math since 1998 and was perfectly fine. It'll come back quickly. Don't waste the $ or the time on something you can pick up again easily!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree- just drop and review for the GRE. The stuff in Algebra will be more broad and in-depth than needed, and there is about 65-70% verbal/written and I doubt you're taking Comp I to review for that part! The study books do great for review - taking the whole class is unecessary. Especially if it's hogging time from other pre-reqs.

As a side note, some vet schools won't take coursework that is over X years old. Keep that in mind as you consider schools.

I bet Kaplan will be sufficient, but I have to ask... are you sure that you signed up for basic Algebra rather than Linear Algebra or one of the high level Algebra courses?

I bet Kaplan will be sufficient, but I have to ask... are you sure that you signed up for basic Algebra rather than Linear Algebra or one of the high level Algebra courses?

Yep...Just basic Algebra!

It sounds like you're a math person, since you got all A's before.
I like math, and found the math section of the GRE to be my best friend (I'm worse in verbal). I took the Kaplan course and it went over the basics and showed me which techniques to use to approach problems. I wound up getting an 800 on the math (which doesn't mean I didn't make mistakes, because the percentile wasn't 100), but if I were you I would drop that course and take up Kaplan.

I wound up getting an 800 on the math (which doesn't mean I didn't make mistakes, because the percentile wasn't 100), but if I were you I would drop that course and take up Kaplan.

Erf, actually the percentile is the percentage of people who scored lower than you on the section, not a percentage of how many you got right. Your percentile wasn't 100 because something like 8% of people taking the GRE get a perfect score, not because you made mistakes.

Check with your school - mine offers a GRE prep course for only $495. It's four weeks long. I'm taking it now. They also offer a math "refresher" course for about $200.

If you have a Sylvan center near you they might offer the same thing.

Thanks everyone...Definitely going to drop the class and get my money back!

Drop it, for sure! :) Sometimes the way a professor teaches the material just doesn't click. No need to strain yourself and have it show up as a less than stellar grade when you worked so hard!
I'm a huge proponent of Kaplan! Loved it and really did well(1480, 6.0 W) because of it. I think the main thing Kaplan does is teaches you how to take the test with time management and what is most likely NOT the answer. So, for my situation it really did help. In addition, you do so many practice tests, that by the time you get to the actual site, you've seen the test format and have learned to manage your time so you are one up! I say, dive into Kaplan and you'll do great! Good Luck.:thumbup:
I am returning to school this summer to take some pre-reqs and I am in a situation and I need some advice...

I took college algebra and calculus 8 years ago during my first undergrad and received A's. I decided to sign up for college algebra this summer in hopes that it would just be an easy review course for the GRE. The class is so demanding, my teacher is horrible, and I am actually somewhat confused. I am taking chem 1 and microbiology as well and the algebra class seems to be taking up all of my time and everything is not rushing back to me like I thought it would.

I plan on taking the comprehensive Kaplan course before I take the GRE but I am kind of concerned since basic college algebra is making me scratch my head a bit!!! (I can't believe I am actually saying that...)

So, here is my question...Should I drop the class since it is not required or stick it out? Will Kaplan teach me everything I need to know for the test?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks