Re-take for a better grade??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dganaden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a question that has been on my mind and I would love to get some advice in this. I took a genetics class last fall and pulled a 'C' in the class. This is only the second 'C' that I have in my pre-med classes. The other one is in Organic Chemistry 1.

My problem is if I should retake those classes or just try and take a few others and move on. I think with those 2 C's it will drop my science GPA down to a 3.10. If I was to retake them, I am sure that it will put it up to at least 3.3 or better.

Any help would be great since I need to start planning my summer and fall classes around my work schedule.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that its necessary to re-take those two classes. I would take some upper level science classes, AND GET A'S in them, to improve your science and overall GPA. Some good ones to take before medical school if you haven't already are: Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy or Human Anatomy, and Cell/Molecular Biology.

Get A's in everything else...take a MCAT prep class if you need to so you can rock the MCAT, and you'll do fine as long as the rest of your application is well-rounded.

Vince, MSIV
WesternU/COMP

Vince said:
I don't think that its necessary to re-take those two classes. I would take some upper level science classes, AND GET A'S in them, to improve your science and overall GPA. Some good ones to take before medical school if you haven't already are: Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy or Human Anatomy, and Cell/Molecular Biology.

Get A's in everything else...take a MCAT prep class if you need to so you can rock the MCAT, and you'll do fine as long as the rest of your application is well-rounded.

Vince, MSIV
WesternU/COMP

I have already had an anatomy class and just a basic biology class. I feel that I am hurting on some on my sciences on the MCAT. I had a really poor instructor for alot of my chemistry classes (General and Organic were the same instructor), and feel not real ready for either of them on the MCAT. I am thinking about taking either Cell/Molecular or physiology in the summer to get me ready if I have to re-take the MCAT in Aug. What would be a good class to get me good and rounded for that.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take Phy. to prepare for the mcat. then again i didn't do amazing on it. My 2 cents about professors, forget about them, use your book and class outline to prepare for the class. I read my orgaric book almost 2 times during my org. class, same thing with phyx and gen chem, what worked the best for me is not going to class that much and studying my brains out for the tests. As far retakeing class's I agree that you should take upper div. class. also try to find research credits or co-op credits that your school offers. you get two birds with one stone here. these credits count towards your sci GPA and normaly are a breeze to get an A in and you have something unquie to show the school you apply for. I took 9 upper div credits (research and co-op) and it really helped.
good luck

dganaden said:
Here is a question that has been on my mind and I would love to get some advice in this. I took a genetics class last fall and pulled a 'C' in the class. This is only the second 'C' that I have in my pre-med classes. The other one is in Organic Chemistry 1.

My problem is if I should retake those classes or just try and take a few others and move on. I think with those 2 C's it will drop my science GPA down to a 3.10. If I was to retake them, I am sure that it will put it up to at least 3.3 or better.

Any help would be great since I need to start planning my summer and fall classes around my work schedule.

Thanks

No, don't retake C's. Take science classes you haven't taken yet to help your GPA.

I pulled some C's in gen chem I and II, one of the profs on my advisory board sat on the Medical School admissions board for UCLA and he recommended that I re-take the classes, in addition to taking more upperlevel classes. He said that it is just another way to demonstrate your commitment to the field. As well as another way to demonstrate your desire to learn everything you may have missed. He said that many times over the years he sat on the committee, they would have two comparable students, one who got a C and didn't retake and one who got a C and did retake, and they would always choose the one who retook the course(s).

I moved on and Got A's and B's in all my upperlevel courses, but haven't had time to work the Gen Chem courses into my schedule again, so I'm taking them this summer.

OSUdoc08 said:
No, don't retake C's. Take science classes you haven't taken yet to help your GPA.

Even if you have multiple C's? I ask because I got a C in my inorganic chemistry II and a C in my organic I (B in inorganic I and probably an A- in organic II - taking it this semester). Thanks

v-lander said:
Even if you have multiple C's? I ask because I got a C in my inorganic chemistry II and a C in my organic I (B in inorganic I and probably an A- in organic II - taking it this semester). Thanks

i'm in the same boat, kind of...i had one C in my whole undergrad - in my full year organic chem course. should i even consider retaking it, since it is a prerequisite for most DO schools? my GPA is still pretty good with that C. and if you have to retake a course, can you apply in June and put on the application that you are planning to take one of the pre-requistes in hte upcoming year, or do all the courses have to be completed at the time of application?

v-lander said:

Yes, even if you have multiple C's. You should only retake D's and F's. It would be a better use of your time if you took a course in the same subject area and did well.

My 2 pennies say retake, especially the OChem. I had a few Cs in chem classes and only got 2 interviews and no acceptences last year. I retook some classes, including OChem, got 27 units of straight A's (all lower division) which raised my science GPA by .4 points! This year I got 4 invites to interview (out of 5 schools applied to), and got accepted at my second interview. Just my experience.