Re-take the DAT?!? Need advice ASAP please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent1011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian planning on applying to U.S. dental schools early June. I am debating whether to re-take the DAT (by mid-June) to help my app (I have been rejected in the past, though with lower GPAs)

Current stats (waiting for a few grades still, upward trend, had one terrible summer term due to family crisis):
cGPA ~3.52
sGPA ~3.43
BCP ~3.1
non-sci ~3.9

DAT (Aug 2010)
Bio 20
Chem 20
Orgo 20
TS 20
QR 15
Reading 25
PAT 20
AA 20

Given the GPAs cannot be altered at this time, should I re-take the DAT (and KILL IT)

Opinions are appreciated. If it is necessary, I will do it.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Gosh, if only if you had a 17 on your QR. Unfortunately, a 15 doesn't make the cut for basically any school these days. And having a lot of 20s also mean that you can potentially risk getting a 19 or something on them. Tricky situation. Take it and kill it. Get DAT Math Destroyer. I hear good things about it.

Your reading is beastly though. Shoot for 21s across the board.
tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

*If I may add. Take 4 bioscience courses this summer and fall and kick that BCP to a 3.2 or 3.3.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I am leaning towards re-taking the DAT b/c I really need to do anything I can to maximize my chances (I applied in 2010-2011 and do not want to be taking another year off, I just completed a 5th year at uni)

I am taking a couple online courses right now to try to bump it up to a 3.2, hopefully I can get A+s and be done in a timely manner for apps.

I am just wondering though - should I be applying to a masters program in the states (are my chances this cycle slim as a Canadian)

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful with online classes. Some schools don't seem to accept them. But it should help your GPA at least, if they're not required courses. but yes, ace them.

I think you do have to retake it just so that QR is above the cut off. Better safe than sorry. Another idea is to get an SAT math book to study it. And do lots of problems. I think QR is mostly about being fast and efficient with basic mathematical manipulations.

Be careful with online classes. Some schools don't seem to accept them. But it should help your GPA at least, if they're not required courses. but yes, ace them.

I think you do have to retake it just so that QR is above the cut off. Better safe than sorry. Another idea is to get an SAT math book to study it. And do lots of problems. I think QR is mostly about being fast and efficient with basic mathematical manipulations.

Hey there,
I was just wondering where or for which schools you read about the cut off? Thanks!

If I was in your shoes with those types of DAT scores, then I would retake it and kill it. I can say that because that's what I did-- I knew I could do better. But be careful.

Definitely re-take it and make sure to practice the QR section more, in a timed manner. I would rather I gave it another shot than realize this was the reason that I was held back :). You can definitely kill it! Your other scores are great already