Re-Take the MCAT? If so, when can I without consequences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polo423

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to submit an application this June for medical school. I submitted one last round that didn't end well. Since applying last year I have:
-graduated college
-raised my GPA from a 3.2 to a 3.5
-completed 2 years of hospital volunteering
-have engaged in other volunteering such as tutoring
-obtained better recommendation letters (replaced a science one that wasn't hot, and will get an amazing one from my current boss)
-am working full-time as a research technician; a job which has granted me numerous qualities of character that will suit me in medical school. I also expect to be acknowledged on a paper I worked on, as well as published myself on another in the near future.
-am planning to attend a type 1 diabetes research trip to Uganda later this year (August or September)

From where I stand and look at my profile, the only obstacle I see is the MCAT. I am currently studying to re-take the MCAT (28Q first round, 9/9/10 breakdown) and I was wondering a few things:

1) With everything I've done is it a necessity to re-take the test? (with the business and stress of work studying has been tough to get to a regiment)

2) If it is recommended that I re-take the test, how late into this year could I take the test and not hurt my profile?

Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to submit an application this June for medical school. I submitted one last round that didn't end well. Since applying last year I have:
-graduated college
-raised my GPA from a 3.2 to a 3.5
-completed 2 years of hospital volunteering
-have engaged in other volunteering such as tutoring
-obtained better recommendation letters (replaced a science one that wasn't hot, and will get an amazing one from my current boss)
-am working full-time as a research technician; a job which has granted me numerous qualities of character that will suit me in medical school. I also expect to be acknowledged on a paper I worked on, as well as published myself on another in the near future.
-am planning to attend a type 1 diabetes research trip to Uganda later this year (August or September)

From where I stand and look at my profile, the only obstacle I see is the MCAT. I am currently studying to re-take the MCAT (28Q first round, 9/9/10 breakdown) and I was wondering a few things:

1) With everything I've done is it a necessity to re-take the test? (with the business and stress of work studying has been tough to get to a regiment)

2) If it is recommended that I re-take the test, how late into this year could I take the test and not hurt my profile?

Thanks so much for your help!

Definitely retake. I think it's not THAT difficult to get a 30 if you have proper study habits...and I think raising your MCAT to a 30 later will greatly increase your chances. A lot of the MCAT is just learning small tricks, or getting used to how questions are asked. You don't have to know most concepts with an enormous amount of depth. I'd suggest ExamKrackers books, just because they generally teach you everything you need to know (and nothing you don't). It keeps things simple. While I took the exam almost a year ago, I think even a couple of weeks of reviewing would get me back on par to take it. Good luck, I think you can definitely improve.

Take the exam by May or June at the latest so you can apply by July without being late. It's January so you have plenty of time to study. Spend a month reviewing the material (Bio one week, Physics the next, etc.). Then just start taking exams. It's really the best way to study...because you get to see what concepts/equations you don't understand/know very well in a real exam settings. Definitely pick up the AAMC Online Tests which are real MCATs in the exact format as the computerized test. I did this while working and it really isn't too bad. Just devote an hour or two to studying before you go to bed each night.

If you truly think your score would improve it then I would take it again. It's not too low, but your GPA is a little below average and a slightly higher MCAT might be a nice boost to your application. You have good ECs, though!

If you take the MCAT by May 1st, you should have your results by June 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
For your question the VERY LAST mcat you can take is the September 2010 MCAT. This is the last test that schools normally accept for the same admission cycle.

Of course you can apply to these schools before your scores come out. Just need to let them know.

It would help to know if you had a recent upward grade trend prior to graduating and the state you reside in.

If you live in a state with a more forgiving state school, you might be fine as you are, but you are by no means a shoo-in. With a GPA of 3.5, you'd ideally score a 32+ on a retake to have a good chance. Or you could apply to DO med schools as you are and have an excellent chance of an acceptance.

It's good you are conscious of the problem of retaking the MCAT too late in the summer. When one's numbers are not optimal, the earliest application date is the best (June). I think it would be acceptable to take the MCAT in early June and be complete at schools in July, with all your Secondary essays prewritten (from essay prompts found here on SDN), and your application submitted in June so the verification process can be completed. You could just apply to one school, then after the MCAT score is known, add additional schools (or not) depending on how competitive your score was. Newly added schools would get your entire application within 24 hours, you'd get the rest of your Secondaries, and you could get everything returned before you leave for the August research trip for optimal consideration.