Jan 2, 2020
Has anyone re-taken pre-reqs if they were old....like 10-15 yrs old? Most of my pre-reqs are 12-15 yrs old. I did get a mix of As, Bs, and Cs. Also, I had a few Ws and 2 Fs that I repeated around the same time too. I feel like I need a refresher and want to take all the pre-reqs again. How does it look like to the Adcoms? Did anyone have a problem if they did this? Pros and cons? I know I can audit them but if it helps getting a good grade and not be a concern to the Adcoms, then why not, right? Thanks!

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Gold Donor
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
Adcoms will not have an issue with you taking the courses again after more than a decade. Unless you were to do poorly in them, I doubt any adcom will view them negatively.

OP
M
Jan 2, 2020
Do you know how they’ll calculate the GPA then? Will they average the two Grades or just take the recent grade? Do you know anyone who has gone through this situation? Thanks!

About the Ads
Jun 13, 2018
When you retake grades, both are included. So they're not really averaged, the original class effectively counts as a separate class as far as GPA is concerned.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Has anyone re-taken pre-reqs if they were old....like 10-15 yrs old? Most of my pre-reqs are 12-15 yrs old. I did get a mix of As, Bs, and Cs. Also, I had a few Ws and 2 Fs that I repeated around the same time too. I feel like I need a refresher and want to take all the pre-reqs again. How does it look like to the Adcoms? Did anyone have a problem if they did this? Pros and cons? I know I can audit them but if it helps getting a good grade and not be a concern to the Adcoms, then why not, right? Thanks!
Many med schools put expiration dates on pre reqs, so retaking them is not only smart, but is a necessity.

I would expect massive knowledge decay after a decade.

OP
M
Jan 2, 2020
Many med schools put expiration dates on pre reqs, so retaking them is not only smart, but is a necessity.

I would expect massive knowledge decay after a decade.
Thanks for replying. You had previously advised that I audit the courses if I made decent grades in them previously. Do you think repeating them for a grade is a good idea too since it’s been sooo long? Thanks!

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Thanks for replying. You had previously advised that I audit the courses if I made decent grades in them previously. Do you think repeating them for a grade is a good idea too since it’s been sooo long? Thanks!
Go to the Admission websites of
Albany
Drexel
Columbia
Loyola
Case
Wake
Western
NYITCOM
One of your state schools

And tell me if the majority of these have an expiration date on pre reqs

OP
M
Jan 2, 2020
Go to the Admission websites of
Albany
Drexel
Columbia
Loyola
Case
Wake
Western
NYITCOM
One of your state schools

And tell me if the majority of these have an expiration date on pre reqs

ALBANY: no expiration but advises to complete “traditional” college level courses after being out of school for too long.

DREXEL: didn’t find anything on repeating courses.

COLUMBIA: 10 yr deadline on pre-reqs. Bio courses w/in 5yrs.

LOYOLA (Chicago): didn’t find anything on repeating courses.

CASE: no expiration on pre-reqs but prefer to see recent coursework.

WAKE: didn’t find anything on courses.

WESTERN: didn’t find anything on old courses.

NYITCOM: didn’t find anything on old coursework.

STATE SCHOOL: no expiration on pre-reqs but prefer to see some recent coursework.

so now, my question is: repeating pre-reqs is good for schools whose pre-reqs “expire” but what about schools whose pre-reqs don’t expire? I understand all schools want some recent coursework but I’m just confused if I should retake all pre-reqs or just other upper level sciences? Also, coming back to the point where you had mentioned to just audit the courses if I made good grades in them.....I guess the 12-15 yr gap wasn’t factored into that advice then? Thank you so much!

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
ALBANY: no expiration but advises to complete “traditional” college level courses after being out of school for too long.

DREXEL: didn’t find anything on repeating courses.

COLUMBIA: 10 yr deadline on pre-reqs. Bio courses w/in 5yrs.

LOYOLA (Chicago): didn’t find anything on repeating courses.

CASE: no expiration on pre-reqs but prefer to see recent coursework.

WAKE: didn’t find anything on courses.

WESTERN: didn’t find anything on old courses.

NYITCOM: didn’t find anything on old coursework.

STATE SCHOOL: no expiration on pre-reqs but prefer to see some recent coursework.

so now, my question is: repeating pre-reqs is good for schools whose pre-reqs “expire” but what about schools whose pre-reqs don’t expire? I understand all schools want some recent coursework but I’m just confused if I should retake all pre-reqs or just other upper level sciences? Also, coming back to the point where you had mentioned to just audit the courses if I made good grades in them.....I guess the 12-15 yr gap wasn’t factored into that advice then? Thank you so much!
Given what you've told me, I recommend retaking the courses. That way all your ducks will be in a row.

About the Ads