re-taking a post-bacc course??

Started by briy61
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

briy61

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started a post-bacc program about a 2 years ago, right out of college (where I majored in marketing - no science whatsoever), and I didn't really know what I was getting myself into.

I simply didn't prioritize my job/school very well, and subsequently got a B in CHEM 1. I also had to drop two other courses mid-way through the semester leaving 2 fat W's on my transcript.

For the last 1.5 years, I've been working in health-policy research (gaining a better understanding of healthcare, I think), and recently earned EMT certification.

I feel a renewed sense of purpose, maturity (blah blah blah)...

My question is very simply whether I should re-take CHEM 1 (since it's been over a year) before jumping into CHEM 2.

I know I'll have to report my initial CHEM 1 grade, so it's not like I plan on re-taking CHEM 1 to cancel out the B I got initially. Rather, I just feel like re-taking the course would ensure that I am prepared for CHEM 2, which I really can't afford to screw up at this point.

Thanks in advance...this is a great forum.
 
I started a post-bacc program about a 2 years ago, right out of college (where I majored in marketing - no science whatsoever), and I didn't really know what I was getting myself into.

I simply didn't prioritize my job/school very well, and subsequently got a B in CHEM 1. I also had to drop two other courses mid-way through the semester leaving 2 fat W's on my transcript.

For the last 1.5 years, I've been working in health-policy research (gaining a better understanding of healthcare, I think), and recently earned EMT certification.

I feel a renewed sense of purpose, maturity (blah blah blah)...

My question is very simply whether I should re-take CHEM 1 (since it's been over a year) before jumping into CHEM 2.

I know I'll have to report my initial CHEM 1 grade, so it's not like I plan on re-taking CHEM 1 to cancel out the B I got initially. Rather, I just feel like re-taking the course would ensure that I am prepared for CHEM 2, which I really can't afford to screw up at this point.

Thanks in advance...this is a great forum.

you will have to ask if that is possible with your school because the registrar might not let you do that since you already took chem 1 and earned a passing grade with it.
 
"Longing" mentioned an important consideration -- your school may not allow it. More importantly, you got a B. Get your textbook out, review it, and sign up for Chem 2. I would NOT recommend retaking a course you got a B in.

If you're concerned about the impact the B will have (minimal, if you do well in your subsequent courses), take Chem 2, Organic 1 and 2, and then take a higher-level chemistry course -- like Biochemistry -- and get an A.

The W's are going to be an issue for some schools, given that you earned them very recently. However, if you maintain a consistent upward trend in your grades from here onward -- and refrain from repeating courses simply because you don't want to review the textbook -- you should be okay.


Best of luck,
-z
 
I concur with the poster above. Get your book out and review what you need to know. You'll have to get used to that kind of studying later on anyways 🙂

And don't worry, B does not heavily rely on A.