Re-taking DAT while getting interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATGal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received an interview invite from a school that I really like, however my dream school (UoP) wants me to re-take the DAT. So, I am studying for a late January exam. Do I have to notify all the schools that I applied to that I will be taking the DAT in January ? What are the upsides and downsides to telling them and not telling them ? ...and just out of curiousity, would any of you turn down other schools to wait a year to get into your dream school ? :eek: Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your priorities on turning a school down or not. If you turn them down then you better have some decent plans for the next year. Personally I would go anywhere that accepted me, then again I made sure to only apply to schools I was willing to attend and had a decent shot at going to. Also keep in mind that most slots at UoP have been filled and at best you would be fighting for an alternate spot on a list that doesn't move much. However if you got in next year since it is only a 3 year program you wouldn't be behind or using another year. Decisions decisions.

If in your shoes I would retake and tell UoP by formal written letter. However I would keep hush until the other school mentions it. If you tell them now there is a possibility that they might put you on hold till they receive scores. This would put you back a couple of weeks and fighting for one of even fewer seats. If they mention it during the interview then tell them that you are rescheduled to take it.

To schools that haven't invited you to interview yet I would tell them by letter too so as to get you app looked at again and possibly granted another interview.

I have received an interview invite from a school that I really like, however my dream school (UoP) wants me to re-take the DAT. So, I am studying for a late January exam. Do I have to notify all the schools that I applied to that I will be taking the DAT in January ? What are the upsides and downsides to telling them and not telling them ? ...and just out of curiousity, would any of you turn down other schools to wait a year to get into your dream school ? :eek: Thanks...
im in the same boat as you... retaking tomorrow.. but Jake is right, IF we do better, we will be put on alternate.. if that.. But that almost guarantees acceptance next year. If that happens to me, I will go elsewhere if accepted, because i want to move on.. I already have a year off (this year). I only told 3 schools im retaking because i knew i wouldn't get interviweed by them unless i do better. The others i will tell tomorrow IF I do bette... i hoep i do!!!!!!!!!
good luck to u what r ur scores if u dont mind sharing?