Re-taking prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat1923

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I have been freaking out lately because I was planning on applying to optometry schools this summer and I realized I have a few C-s for pre-reqs, and I read on here that its okay to re-take them. However, I was wondering if taking them at a community college would be ok? My plan was to still take my OATs this spring and then apply while retaking my prereqs. I don't know if thats a good idea or if I should re-take my courses then take my OATs and apply? Also, will schools look at if I took a course more than once, or will they just see my recent score? Any suggestions or thoughts. Im so glad I found this forum where I can ask questions, I didn't know who to turn to or ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to the admissions directors at the schools you're looking at. I've been told not to retake my prerequisites (C's in chemistry), but I'm sure it's a case-by-case situation. Send them your GPA and plans and they'll help guide you. I know that SCO doesn't take the highest grade, they average them. I'd still check with them to be sure. I've also been told not to take core sciences at community colleges, if possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I was also advised not to take science courses at a community college. As far as I know, the only way to retake a class and replace a grade is to retake it at the same institution. Optometry schools will be able to see both grades, but the highest one is used to calculate your GPA as long as it was taken at the same school. I agree with the post above, contact the schools you are interested in, they may say that you don't really need to retake the class.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had Cs in organic chem I & II and was never questioned about it and I got in. I agree with everyone else saying to contact admissions and not take it at community college but I just wanted to let you know people have got in with Cs in pre-Reqs

Thank you all! I have done really horrible in school and just got my act together so I'm really afraid they will see my transcript and not want me, but I plan on killing my OATs this March. I'm about to call up the schools I'm interested in and see what they say. Thank you all again, this really helped

Reactions: 1 user
I also feel like if I struggled this hard in undergrad that will optometry school just kick my butt, how do I know if I meant to do this or can? Anyone else feel that way?

I also feel like if I struggled this hard in undergrad that will optometry school just kick my butt, how do I know if I meant to do this or can? Anyone else feel that way?

You can shadow to see if the job itself is fit for you. Also, if you can do well in your upper level science courses and balance a well rounded life I'm sure you can do it !

I thought undergrad was way tougher than optometry school. Multiple choice tests are way easier than free-response questions on exams that were omnipresent in undergrad. I've met genius students who probably had potential to go way beyond being an optometrist and I've met clueless students who made me question how they were accepted, but for the most part usually 90+% of students do very well once accepted.