Re-Taking Step. What materials to study with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickensoupdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the exam early this year, and unfortunately did not pass the first time through - was just below the cutoff. I had never gotten anything near my real score on practice exams, so I'm not exactly sure what went wrong that day. I'm getting ready to study for the exam again, but not sure what materials I should use. For the first round through, I mainly used: FA, Pathoma, SketchyMicro, SketchyPharm, DIT, Uworld, and Rx.

Also, it seems like the test is moving away from asking what was typically covered in these resources. Would you guys recommend any resources/study plans? Or was there any significant resource that I was missing? I was thinking about doing the Kaplan books and question set, but I honestly don't know many people who used Kaplan, so I'm not sure what to think of it yet. Also, I think one of my weaknesses was that I didn't know much clinical information (ie, what to do next with a patient that has given diagnosis, what vaccine a teenager should receive at routine checkup), which makes me think I should use Step Up or Master the Boards for IM this time around to study for those types of questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the exam early this year, and unfortunately did not pass the first time through - was just below the cutoff. I had never gotten anything near my real score on practice exams, so I'm not exactly sure what went wrong that day. I'm getting ready to study for the exam again, but not sure what materials I should use. For the first round through, I mainly used: FA, Pathoma, SketchyMicro, SketchyPharm, DIT, Uworld, and Rx.

Also, it seems like the test is moving away from asking what was typically covered in these resources. Would you guys recommend any resources/study plans? Or was there any significant resource that I was missing? I was thinking about doing the Kaplan books and question set, but I honestly don't know many people who used Kaplan, so I'm not sure what to think of it yet. Also, I think one of my weaknesses was that I didn't know much clinical information (ie, what to do next with a patient that has given diagnosis, what vaccine a teenager should receive at routine checkup), which makes me think I should use Step Up or Master the Boards for IM this time around to study for those types of questions.
No do not use step 2 material to study for step 1. Step up and mtb I would avoid for step 1. Seriously just focus again on FA and step 1 qbanks questions.

Also, it seems like the test is moving away from asking what was typically covered in these resources. Would you guys recommend any resources/study plans?

I gave the exam just this month and in my experience UFAP covers 100% of everything that is tested on Step 1. Its more like how you use these resources. Yes, you can say that the exam is probably moving away from people memorizing facts off FA and being able to answer a majority of the questions, but how is that a bad thing?

I think Kaplan books are useful only if you use them in conjunction with the videos.

Last edited:
I gave the exam just this month and in my experience UFAP covers 100% of everything that is tested on Step 1. Its more like how you use these resources. Yes, you can say that the exam is probably moving away from people memorizing facts off FA and being able to answer a majority of the questions, but how is that a bad thing?

I think Kaplan books are useful only if you use them in conjunction with the videos.

Quick question about Kaplan - how important is it to us the notes would you say? Would just sticking to the videos be fine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question about Kaplan - how important is it to us the notes would you say? Would just sticking to the videos be fine?

Although the video lectures are more important, the notes help consolidate the stuff you learn from the videos. They are pretty vital in actually retaining the information and also revising. Its too time consuming to watch the videos over and over, but I found it helpful to go over the notes one last time even the day before my exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering about the Kaplan videos, too. I have the notes that I bought on Amazon, but can I just get their videos without having to buy the entire package from the Kaplan website?

I have the Kaplan books, the videos are 4 hours long so I dont know how I would have time. To the OP, as for study aids, Modafinil. If you arent already on it, I have seen people go from 200 practice test scores to 250 practice test scores after using that stuff.

I have the Kaplan books, the videos are 4 hours long so I dont know how I would have time. To the OP, as for study aids, Modafinil. If you arent already on it, I have seen people go from 200 practice test scores to 250 practice test scores after using that stuff.

What?