Re-use secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lainey234

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't come up with this, hope it hasn't been addressed ad nauseam here.

I applied last year and got soundly rejected from everywhere without a single interview. In reality I applied prematurely. I feel much better about my app this year but I was wondering about secondaries. I put some time and effort into them last summer and most schools have the exact same secondary prompts they used last year. I am assuming that I was screened out at most schools and that no one physically looked at my app at others. Is it unwise to re-use my same secondary essays from last year?

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search and didn't come up with this, hope it hasn't been addressed ad nauseam here.

I applied last year and got soundly rejected from everywhere without a single interview. In reality I applied prematurely. I feel much better about my app this year but I was wondering about secondaries. I put some time and effort into them last summer and most schools have the exact same secondary prompts they used last year. I am assuming that I was screened out at most schools and that no one physically looked at my app at others. Is it unwise to re-use my same secondary essays from last year?

i think it's fine to re-use secondaries...I did for a lot of them, but def. added significantly b/c a lot changes in 2 years. There were a lot more *recent* things i could talk about, but i certainly used the general structure/phrasing of previously written secondaries. You might, however, find yourself wincing at what you had written the first time around, so don't be afraid to change.

best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a reapplicant you want to try to improve every part of your application. This includes any essays. You won't get flat out rejected for submitting the same essay; in many cases they probably never even looked at it.

That being said, try to improve upon your past work if at all possible.

i just emailed a DO school to try and find out if re-using a secondary is okay.
I will come back with his response as soon as I get it.
I spoke with an admissions counselor of AT Still University and was told that using the same responses won't be a problem.
Of course, if you have something new to say, or perhaps a different way of saying something, go for it.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess if I felt like anyone had physically read my apps last yr, I wouls re-write or at least re-vise. But there at least 3-4 schools that I think just took my secondary $$ then through my app in the trash. :mad:

I'll definitley re-write for my state school, and I didn't apply DO at all last yr, so none of those will be re-writes. Thanks again and best of luck.