Re-using personal statement - AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoZags

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am re-applying to schools this year after being moderately successful (couple waitlists that haven't panned out), and I was wondering if it is bad form to re-use a personal statement on your AMCAS application from last cycle? I have already re-structured the essay and updated it, but overall its the same paper as last year. My question to you all, is if this is a poor idea?

My feelings on this is that I have implemented minor changes, but this is my personal statement, and it really hasn't changed much in the past 9 months (submitted october 2010 for last cycle). In it are my ambitions to pursue a medical career etc. and there are only a few possible angles I could take on the essay.

If any of you have experience with this please let me know. Perhaps someone has spoken with a member of an adcom regarding this issue.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I am re-applying to schools this year after being moderately successful (couple waitlists that haven't panned out), and I was wondering if it is bad form to re-use a personal statement on your AMCAS application from last cycle? I have already re-structured the essay and updated it, but overall its the same paper as last year. My question to you all, is if this is a poor idea?

My feelings on this is that I have implemented minor changes, but this is my personal statement, and it really hasn't changed much in the past 9 months (submitted october 2010 for last cycle). In it are my ambitions to pursue a medical career etc. and there are only a few possible angles I could take on the essay.

If any of you have experience with this please let me know. Perhaps someone has spoken with a member of an adcom regarding this issue.

Thanks!

I personally think its okay because of the reason you mentioned. Your ambition to pursue a medical career have not changed in a year. Therefore, all you could really do is edit parts but the bulk should remain the same. I think most people would say change it because it makes you seem lazy but I personally don't understand the point.

I reapplied with the same personal statement and got in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I reapplied with the same personal statement and got in!

Thanks both of you for your responses. I have spoofed it up and updated it a little so I think thats all I would like to do.

Congrats on getting in Althavian (With the same personal statement :D you lazy bum) haha.

I had the exact same question. Thanks for beating me to the punch! Please, if anyone else has a differing opinion, speak up!

It's probably fine to reuse it and spiff it up or update it slightly (I did this the last two cycles i applied in), but i would also offer the following:

this is an opportunity to maybe get a little deeper and more nuanced into the reasons why you want to do this. showing some evidence that you are continually reflecting on your reasons and motivations for pursuing this cant be a bad thing.

but yeah, use it.

Personally, I doubt any adcom is even going to remember your personal statement to even know whether it's changed or not. I mean sure, they might remember the major themes of some of the statements that stood out or contained unique life circumstances - which of course should be reused in the next statement - but their not going to remember the "filling" to know whether it's been edited or not.

My advice would be to change it if you feel like you can improve it, but if you feel that it's as good as it's going to get then there is no reason to change it.

Just depends on the school. I was told by many in the admissions department at University of Washington SOM that "It looks LAZY if you use the same one again."

However, I think it depends on the school because some school look at the old application.

Personally, it was a bit of pain to make a new draft, but it really helped me prepare for the upcoming secondaries by allowing myself time to look at other sides of me that I did not show in the past cycle.

Just depends on the school. I was told by many in the admissions department at University of Washington SOM that "It looks LAZY if you use the same one again."

However, I think it depends on the school because some school look at the old application.

Personally, it was a bit of pain to make a new draft, but it really helped me prepare for the upcoming secondaries by allowing myself time to look at other sides of me that I did not show in the past cycle.

Well UWSOM makes you write an additional PS anyways so the fact that I re-used my AMCAS PS (more or less) I don't think will matter as much because I'm definitely re-writing my PS for UWSOM Secondary...Hooray being in the WWAMI!