• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

Re-write the DAT?

Graphire

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
  1. Pre-Dental
    I took the Canadian DAT in November, my scores were:

Reading: 22
    Bio: 18
    Chem: 19
    Science: 18
    AA: 20
    Perception: 19
    Carving: 5

The carving really scares me that some schools will reject me because of it

Should I retake the American DAT in a couple weeks and submit my AADSAS then? Or should I just apply?

Thanks

About the Ads

spearmint

7+ Year Member
    Jul 8, 2009
    CA
    1. Pre-Dental
      If you are a Canadian applying to American dental schools, your stats have to be stellar. Unfortunately for you, the bar is set much higher for foreign students. From what I've remember seeing, most Canadians who were successful in gaining acceptances to American dental schools had DAT scores of 22+ across the board. I would certainly retake it if I were you.

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      10+ Year Member
      Jun 24, 2008
      USA
      1. Pre-Dental
        If you are a Canadian applying to American dental schools, your stats have to be stellar. Unfortunately for you, the bar is set much higher for foreign students. From what I've remember seeing, most Canadians who were successful in gaining acceptances to American dental schools had DAT scores of 22+ across the board. I would certainly retake it if I were you.

Unless it's Boston, Tufts, NYU, etc. I have Canadian friends who got in with 3.1s and only 19AA. Granted, they were accepted really late in the cycle.

PhansterZ

15+ Year Member
        Jun 18, 2006
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I took the Canadian DAT in November, my scores were:

Reading: 22
          Bio: 18
          Chem: 19
          Science: 18
          AA: 20
          Perception: 19
          Carving: 5

The carving really scares me that some schools will reject me because of it

Should I retake the American DAT in a couple weeks and submit my AADSAS then? Or should I just apply?

Thanks

Hey, I'm a Canadian applicant in this year's cycle too.

Definitely retake the DAT, this time the American one. That 5 in carving doesn't look very impressive at all. Was it like a 5th percentile?

Did you smash your soap on the ground a couple of times, stepped on it then handed it in? lol

I've heard stories of people cutting themselves with the knife during the exam and they handed in a bloodied soap..

Good thing about the American one is that there's no soap carving.

Just take your DAT ASAP (within next 2 months). You can hand in your application before your DAT scores come in.

BTW, what's your GPA and ECs like?

Graphire

7+ Year Member
          Jun 2, 2011
          1. Pre-Dental
            Hey, I'm a Canadian applicant in this year's cycle too.

Definitely retake the DAT, this time the American one. That 5 in carving doesn't look very impressive at all. Was it like a 5th percentile?

Did you smash your soap on the ground a couple of times, stepped on it then handed it in? lol

I've heard stories of people cutting themselves with the knife during the exam and they handed in a bloodied soap..

Good thing about the American one is that there's no soap carving.

Just take your DAT ASAP (within next 2 months). You can hand in your application before your DAT scores come in.

BTW, what's your GPA and ECs like?

I'm trying to finish up studying for Orgo at the moment.
            My GPA isn't incredible only a 3.3/4 i think my sGPA is also a 3.3.
            I have quite a bit of volunteer hours and currently trying very hard to get some shadowing hours but having receptionists laugh at you when you tell them your an undergrad is not very encouraging.

PhansterZ

15+ Year Member
            Jun 18, 2006
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              I'm trying to finish up studying for Orgo at the moment.
              My GPA isn't incredible only a 3.3/4 i think my sGPA is also a 3.3.
              I have quite a bit of volunteer hours and currently trying very hard to get some shadowing hours but having receptionists laugh at you when you tell them your an undergrad is not very encouraging.

Well, your GPA is slightly below the average accepted student, so you would have to DESTROY the DAT if you want to have a chance. Think 21AA+ (~90th percentile).

I have a friend who got into 3 american schools last cycle with a 3.20 GPA, but he scored a 22AA, 24TS on the american DAT. He also did over 200 hours of shadowing with various dentists. So you can make up for a weak GPA, but the rest of your application has to be very strong. Also, apply to out of state friendly schools as they don't differentiate between international students and out of state students (from what I'm told anyways, don't quote me).

Graphire

7+ Year Member
              Jun 2, 2011
              1. Pre-Dental
                Well, your GPA is slightly below the average accepted student, so you would have to DESTROY the DAT if you want to have a chance. Think 21AA+ (~90th percentile).

I have a friend who got into 3 american schools last cycle with a 3.20 GPA, but he scored a 22AA, 24TS on the american DAT. He also did over 200 hours of shadowing with various dentists. So you can make up for a weak GPA, but the rest of your application has to be very strong. Also, apply to out of state friendly schools as they don't differentiate between international students and out of state students (from what I'm told anyways, don't quote me).

Thanks so much.

I plan on getting as much shadowing hours as I can.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.