Reaching out to MDPhD Directors

Started by deleted927298
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted927298

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I won't be applying until June 2020 for MDPhD programs, but do you think it would be wise to reach out to certain MDPhD programs that I am interested in now to express my interests?

How long should an email to the MDPhD director be? Should I attach my CV to the email? Thank you for the help!
 
It probably be more effective in April/May, when we are more focused upon finishing up recruiting a relatively small class, and barely starting to think about the following cycle. A short email describing you succinctly is enough.

For example:
Dear Dr. X,
I am a post-bac completing my 1st year of cancer research at NIH, after graduating from State Univ (cGPA 3.82, ScGPA 3.76, MCAT 516), and I will be applying to your MSTP program in June. I am interested in your Cancer Biology PhD and would particularly interested in Dr. Z, Dr. W, and Dr. Y' research. I enclosed my one-page resume for your review.
Sincerely,
MSTP Dreamer

The more intentional and deliberate that your email sounds, the more impactful it will be.​
 
@Fencer If I am applying in June 2020, should I send the email in May/April 2020 rather than May/April 2019? Thanks.
 
Imagine you are in their shoes. Do you think they'll remember someone showing interest in the program via email A YEAR AGO? I don't remember emails from a week ago, I can't imagine someone with a busier schedule remembering something like this that far out.

The best thing you can do is be a strong applicant and get an interview. Once you have that, these types of moves can play an important role in distinguishing you from a crowd (all other things being equal), as Fencer noted, but this kind of move seems meaningless if they aren't in a position to act on it in the near future.