Reaction formation vs sublimation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UWorld gives "a former smoker vigorously enforcing a smoking ban" as an example of reaction formation.

My question is: how is that not sublimation?

Notice it doesn't say a current smoker.

In sublimation, an unacceptable conscious impulse is channeled into an acceptable form of behavior.

Per the above, the desire to smoke is unacceptable; enforcing a smoking ban is the compensatory proactive behavior.

The sublimation example given by UWorld is a person with sexual thoughts about children becomes a sexual therapist.

The only real difference I can think of between these two examples is that the "unacceptable" impulse regarding sublimation must be illegal, whereas that associated with reaction formation might just merely be personally displeasing. Or perhaps the compensatory behavior associated with sublimation is that of a longer-term modification?

Could someone please help out here?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the key is in the stimuli, like you said (but I'm drawing back from undergrad psych). However, illegal is a poor term to use. A better way to phrase it would be "violates the mores of the individual's identifying group, culture, society, etc."

I don't particularly like Uworlds explanation on this topic. The most important thing that I got was for reaction formation, the action has to be the complete opposite.

In the case of the sex therapist sublimation, she's trying to help people as opposed to condemn those with similar feelings as her. The smoker wants to ban all smoking, i.e. the opposite of smoking.

So if it was going to be sublimation for the smoker, it would be a smoker trying to explain the dangers of smoking to people.

I don't particularly like Uworlds explanation on this topic. The most important thing that I got was for reaction formation, the action has to be the complete opposite.

In the case of the sex therapist sublimation, she's trying to help people as opposed to condemn those with similar feelings as her. The smoker wants to ban all smoking, i.e. the opposite of smoking.

So if it was going to be sublimation for the smoker, it would be a smoker trying to explain the dangers of smoking to people.

Good one. I like this. Simple reasoning helps a lot actually.

Nice little games we have to play with USMLE questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the key is in the stimuli, like you said (but I'm drawing back from undergrad psych). However, illegal is a poor term to use. A better way to phrase it would be "violates the mores of the individual's identifying group, culture, society, etc."

I was just over-simplifying really, but good point regardless.

In sublimation the person has to transform yet still fulfill their desires, and it would be more like a smoker working in a coal factory or something. Maybe more like a serial killer becoming an animal hunter. If the murderer became and anti-gun lobbyist, then it would become reaction formation. The fact that they are doing something opposite to the desire makes it reaction formation.

Good one. I like this. Simple reasoning helps a lot actually.

Nice little games we have to play with USMLE questions.

In sublimation the person has to transform yet still fulfill their desires, and it would be more like a smoker working in a coal factory or something. Maybe more like a serial killer becoming an animal hunter. If the murderer became and anti-gun lobbyist, then it would become reaction formation. The fact that they are doing something opposite to the desire makes it reaction formation.

No, not necessarily. And, I guess it is clearly too late to weigh in on this question myself, but the answer to me is clearly reaction formation and not sublimation as it appears to be an unconscious decision rather than a conscious channeling that is sublimation.

If the smoker channeled his/her desire to smoke again to some other obsession, like working hard to get a pay rise, it would be sublimation.

Okay thanks, I understand sublimation has to be that it is channeled to anything more acceptable, and that reaction formation must be the opposite. I dont understand what consciousness has to do with anything.

The explanation I got in a question today for reaction formation was a recovering alch who rallies to have alch sales banned. I dont think he unconsciously would do that. It seems like just the fact that its the opposite of what he wants is what makes it rxn formation.

No, not necessarily. And, I guess it is clearly too late to weigh in on this question myself, but the answer to me is clearly reaction formation and not sublimation as it appears to be an unconscious decision rather than a conscious channeling that is sublimation.

If the smoker channeled his/her desire to smoke again to some other obsession, like working hard to get a pay rise, it would be sublimation.