Read this Before Going to College

Started by deleted393595
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted393595

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll add to this once I get some time next week, but here is my advice to you high schools based on what I've seen at my college:

1) Take as many AP classes as you can, and take time to learn the material. Even if you don't use that AP credit later on (Especially for Bio, Physics and Chem classes), you have no idea how helpful it will be. Far too many of the kids in the Bio class I am a TA for can't do simple molarity problems, let alone understand things such as 1s and 2s orbitals. It is not our job to teach it to you college since this is something that you should have learned in high school - we have other more important things to go over.

2) Don't blow high school off. Make sure you do well GPA and SAT wise so that you can get a good scholarship and don't have to take out loans for undergrad, especially when you will also have to take out additional loans for med school.

3) Don't get pregnant or anyone else pregnant.

4) If you're one of those bookish types, do your best to develop social skills because they will pay off tremendously once you get to college (esp for networking).

5) Don't get arrested
 
I'll add to this once I get some time next week, but here is my advice to you high schools based on what I've seen at my college:

1) Take as many AP classes as you can, and take time to learn the material. Even if you don't use that AP credit later on (Especially for Bio, Physics and Chem classes), you have no idea how helpful it will be. Far too many of the kids in the Bio class I am a TA for can't do simple molarity problems, let alone understand things such as 1s and 2s orbitals. It is not our job to teach it to you college since this is something that you should have learned in high school - we have other more important things to go over.

2) Don't blow high school off. Make sure you do well GPA and SAT wise so that you can get a good scholarship and don't have to take out loans for undergrad, especially when you will also have to take out additional loans for med school.

3) Don't get pregnant or anyone else pregnant.

4) If you're one of those bookish types, do your best to develop social skills because they will pay off tremendously once you get to college (esp for networking).

5) Don't get arrested

Don't use illegal paraphernalia.

Correction: Don't get caught with it.
 
I'll add to this once I get some time next week, but here is my advice to you high schools based on what I've seen at my college:
5) Don't get arrested

I mostly agree with your post except for this one issue. It depends on what you get arrested for. If you get arrested for drug abuse, that is obviously a mark against you. However, my father (on a premed committee) said that one of his students got arrested and it was actually a plus for her. She was arrested for democratic protests and activism (the actual charge was disturbing the peace). She is now an MD student.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mostly agree with your post except for this one issue. It depends on what you get arrested for. If you get arrested for drug abuse, that is obviously a mark against you. However, my father (on a premed committee) said that one of his students got arrested and it was actually a plus for her. She was arrested for democratic protests and activism (the actual charge was disturbing the peace). She is now an MD student.

I would not count on this being a plus universally. Best not to get arrested for any reason.
 
One should take classes relevant to his/her intended major. Yes, decide on a college if you haven't already.
Also, look into self-studying for AP Exams and taking community college classes that would lighten up degree plan.
After acquiring the maximum number of credits for your major, start reviewing/studying for your entrance exam (MCAT/DAT/PCAT/ect) if you're that bored.

If your high school has ridiculous teachers and curricula like mine does, blowing off it off is perfectly fine.
Just don't get too many C's or below and do well on the PSAT for a variety of full ride offers.
I am proud to have not taken the ass-kissing and grade prostitute route.

And I personally would have gained from getting pregnant.
I would have had the opportunity to present myself as a single mother on my dental application, had more motivation for being responsible when I moved out, and would have had my own child before the stress of dental school lab work, oral surgery externships, and being in my thirties.
Of course, some people such as myself are more interested in taking care of foster kids.

I know a brilliant, hardworking scholar/athlete who has been trying "to develop social skills" from before high school (he even reads books on it) and still holds quite awkward conversations. The same goes for my class's valedictorian.
My point is that it's tricky and not worth "working on."

Figure out what your values and motivation are and then what you truly want.
Don't worry - it's normal to not know all of that yet.
If you're genuine and unique, you'll carry yourself that way, have hobbies that reflect/highlight those traits, and actually seem more like a somebody! Woo! 😛

And to those who are persevering through tough times, you've got to handle your own personal problems first before comparing yourself to others who've most likely never experienced similar struggles.
If necessary, focus less on your future because there is no rush.
But if you do rush, you might lose more than you could have imagined.
You may even forget all that you've gone through and turn into someone your younger self would have been disappointed in because "cuando volvemos a abrir los ojos ya han pasado años." It's so easy to lose yourself, so remember who you are (writing helps) whenever possible.

Sorry for the long post. I tried to make it brief - honest.
 
Last edited: