Reading before pathology rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leu345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an oppurtunity to do a pathology rotation, just wondering whether there are any short and concise books (or websites) I can read before the rotation to be more prepared. BTW, I am an IMG aiming for 2009 pathology match. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had an oppurtunity to do a pathology rotation, just wondering whether there are any short and concise books (or websites) I can read before the rotation to be more prepared. BTW, I am an IMG aiming for 2009 pathology match. Thanks.

We have had people rotate through that we thought weren't going to be good pathologists. There were two basic reasons: 1. Could never recognize what organs they were looking at 2. They were clueless about medicine in general

Other than those two things, it's pretty easy to look like an all star if you act interested, ask good questions, and aren't socially repulsive.

For AP, definitely break out your Wheater's histo and pathohisto books for a review of the normal architecture/appearance of different organs and cell types. Do a quick review of special histology stains. Check out Webpath's reviews if you have access.
For autopsy, definitely review your cardiovascular anatomy and neuroanatomy (esp. vascular and midbrain/brainstem structures)...try not to butcher your dissection of the coronary arteries. Don't forget to identify and remove the thymus, adrenals and bladder (often-forgotten organs by a medical student).
Otherwise, just show up and pay attention. Look things up and read as you see them with cases. Bring BRS Pathology and Robbins with you for basic questions you might want to spare your team.