Reading before starting PM&R Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goosequacks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey wise ones out there!

For those of us who will be slaving through a prelim year prior to starting our PM&R residencies (and thus forgetting everything we ever learned about PM&R)... any tips on what to read or do to prepare ourselves for residency?

I did an elective in PM&R, but that's about it... so unlike starting say an OB.GYN or Peds residency (in which I've done 6wk rotations/shelf exams in)... I'm worried about where I'm going to begin my first day on, say, TBI...

Thoughts? Advice? (about this and starting residency in general :))

Members don't see this ad.

worry first about preparing for, surviving, and getting the most out of your internship.

maybe near the end of your internship, I would consider picking up Secrets and going through that.

worry first about preparing for, surviving, and getting the most out of your internship.

Ditto. I hear that learning basic floor medicine is the best thing you can do for PM&R residency prior to starting. Learning to sign out effectively and efficiently, and recognizing when a patient could be getting sick or when they are sick so you can boot them out of rehab would be best. You otherwise have to be in it to learn it well.

Learning "reflexes" (what to do automatically with a fever, hypotension, chest pain, etc) and developing a "spidey-sense" will likely suit you best!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been reading the PM&R pocketpedia on my night float rotation this month. I actually have used it a couple times on my Medicine patients :cool:

I read Secrets during my rotations, and I think it is worth the reread. I promised myself I would not do it, but alas I have started reading Braddom.

I cannot do Harrison's. I get most of my medicine knowledge from uptodate, pubmed, and emedicine these days...in short bite sized usuable portions.

I honestly was not a big reader in medical school...except when it came to reading on my PM&R rotations. I have learned that reading the foundation of your field and keeping updated by reading the journals in your field and related fields really does separate you from others who are not doing the same.

But, I truly believe there can be no replacement for simply getting your hands dirty and dealing with problems/circumstances as they arise. At least for me, learning firsthand is priceless.

Get ready soon to be PGY-2s, The Rehab Floors Await. Remember we are all in this together

:D

Memorize Braddom. You've got 15 months. GO!

Ok, JK.

Pick up Hoppenfeld's "Orthopedic Neurology" You'll have a few thousand patients to practice the MSK/neuro tests on before PM&R. It'll put you miles ahead of your fellow residents.

If they still make "Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases" check that out as well - there is a lot in there that will apply to inpt IM.

Tan's "Practical Manual of PM&R" is good for when you get bored of re-reading Secrets. Also good for when you can't sleep.