Reading Comp HELP!

Started by TheDuce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheDuce

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are some of you able to score so high on the Reading section?! I just took Pearson practice test 2 and completely bombed this section, HELP!
 
RC is the most difficult section to improve on. I'd make sure you feel 100% on the other sections before you even worry about it.

If you study 10 hours for RC you might get an extra 1-3 questions right... if you study 10 hours of Chemistry you might improve by 5+ questions

So it's a better use of time to study sections that are... easier to study for

As for RC review the questions you missed, and try studying from a PCAT book like Kaplan (or whatever you have). Some people even review the GRE top 200 word list. You could even search youtube for RC strategies

Nothing will magically improve RC overnight but if you do feel good about the other sections I'd try to study for it. Just 2-3 questions could translate into 10+ percentile ranks

How bad did you do?
The practice test seemed easier than the real thing to me

If English is your second language I would honestly tell you don't even bother studying unless you want to memorize a few hundred words and hope that a few show up on the actual test (which is a waste of time IMO unless you plan on getting a 99 in everything else already)
 
Last edited:
Reading is the best way to improve at RC-expand your repertoire, read scientific articles, research papers, etc. See if you can grasp what they're trying to say. RC is really tough, I myself only got a 89 on that portion.
 
Reading is the best way to improve at RC-expand your repertoire, read scientific articles, research papers, etc. See if you can grasp what they're trying to say. RC is really tough, I myself only got a 89 on that portion.

Yeah a lot of it involves your base vocabulary which is something that you have been building for a lifetime, so studying for a week isn't going to pull your score up a ton
Though by improving you test taking ability, such as eliminating incorrect answers and using hints even if you have no idea what the word(s) mean, you can still give yourself a chance
An 89 isn't too bad, and considering that RC isn't a very important portion of the test anyways I'd take it