Reading comp section...WOW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timbo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the Pearson practice tests and turns out reading comp is my lowest scores. I'm surprised because I consider myself a pretty good reader and critical thinker. Going over the answers now and I've got to say a lot of their correct answers are just plain wrong and I could make a pretty logical argument as to why my answer choices are right and better than theirs. I don't know if I'm allowed to post any specific examples here, but did anyone experience this is well? This makes me feel uneasy about my upcoming PCAT now...

Members don't see this ad.

Reading is common for many people to have as their lowest score.....I think the reason is because it is so hard to study for it.....What were your scores for each section btw?

I wouldn't stress over it. The first Pearson reading comp practice test I took I was feeling the same frustration after scoring 60-80 percentile. But the nice thing is you can get a feel for where they are coming from. Anyways, the next reading comp I took I scored 36/40. So I wouldn't worry.

Reading is common for many people to have as their lowest score.....I think the reason is because it is so hard to study for it.....What were your scores for each section btw?

If it's so common, then I question the competence of whoever wrote the test and created the answer key. I took 2 of the practice tests and got 36/48 and 38/48 for the reading comprehension sections. Got above 40 for all other sections. While going through their answer key/explanations, yeah there are questions I'll admit I definitely got wrong, but there are also a lot of questions where I could make a strong case for their being wrong.

I wouldn't stress over it. The first Pearson reading comp practice test I took I was feeling the same frustration after scoring 60-80 percentile. But the nice thing is you can get a feel for where they are coming from. Anyways, the next reading comp I took I scored 36/40. So I wouldn't worry.

Kind of hard to get a feeling of what they're looking for when their "correct" answers are based on such reasonings as: lots of people being at risk for a disease means that it is uncurable or "expert opinon" is the same thing as an expert just stating facts.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is a quote from an expert, they want you to assume that is strong evidence supporting whatever they are writing about. In real life, it's not a good idea to assume this, but for the PCAT make sure you answer the reading comp questions the way they want you to.

RC sucks, there's no way to prepare for it. :xf: hope you do well on math,chem and bio to make up for it

RC sucks, there's no way to prepare for it. :xf: hope you do well on math,chem and bio to make up for it

Its actually really frustrating because my reading score and VA brought down the entire score composition and I am retaking the test because of them -____-

yea I took the PCAT on Jan 11 my RC is 9 (nine). But I did well on the science and math . I end up with 86 composite even though my Verbal is 35:(