Reading Comprehension: Real Dat vs Top Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BooSSted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How similar is the reading comprehension section on topscore to the real DAT? I realize that the questions concerning the passage may be a little different but im mainly concerned about the length of each passage. From what I saw on topscore, the passages are not very long. It makes me wonder why more people use the search and destroy method rather than actually reading the passage. Any input is appreciated? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

for me topscore and DAT achiever was easy compare to real DAT. I dropped some points on the real one because i was reading the passages fast as I did for topscore and was doing good but on real DAT the strategy didnt work for me. Because of my reading comp my AA dropped :(. I will definitely recommend to practice alot and use many resources. Well I ll be retaking DAT again and hopefully this time I wont have piano passage which was the first passage i got. And i think i ll probably go with the search and destroy this time.

Well Best of Luck!

For me, I thought it was easier than the DAT!! A lot easier!! Did you look into Exam Krackers? I heard it was really helpful in different types of possible questions.

I am reading examkrackers MCAT 101 passages verbal reasoning, right now, it seems good but I don't know what to compare it to, I think one part of the book thats really good is the explanations of not just why the answer is the correct answer but why each of the others is not the right answer, but the problem is that on the real DAT its only three passages, they are longer than the indivividual passages (which for each practice test you read 11 passages in 85 min) and I don't need to use any strategies for the passages, I've only done one practice test and did terrible since I misinterpreted the authors at times, it would really be based on the passage, all in all it really makes me wonder what the point of this section is since you have to be able to understand reading material just to get through college, its not testing your grammar or spelling skills either, considering how some passages like ethics and piano have screwed over enough people that we can actually say they are probably more difficult than other "easier" passages, and the fact that so many different things can be interpreted the wrong way or arguments can be made for "wrong" answers that it really makes this section "filler" lol, I've done searches and read its really important for the boards but I still think its pointless, I think on the real thing I will read the question and scan the passage for the answer, since I don't trust examkrackers enough that I would think of myself as a fast reader, if so many people in this forum adopt a strategy it must be for a reason.