Reading Comprehension Topics on DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ibracadabra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers, I was wondering what kind of topics are likely to be on the actual DAT for the RC section. I've heard that the Piano is one of the hardest topics..

Since I'm a slow reader and are quite afraid about the RC section, I want to gain some basic knowledge about some topics that might appear or might have appeared on the DAT that you took. Should I be looking at scientific journals or scientific news papers? I only have about 3 months left.. I really want to get started to dig down hard.

English isn't my first language so I'm dreading on the RC..; I'm also thinking of getting a vocab book or sth.. were any of you in my shoes and can recommend any vocab book?

Any ideas would be appreciated.. Thanks guys!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDNers, I was wondering what kind of topics are likely to be on the actual DAT for the RC section. I've heard that the Piano is one of the hardest topics..

Since I'm a slow reader and are quite afraid about the RC section, I want to gain some basic knowledge about some topics that might appear or might have appeared on the DAT that you took. Should I be looking at scientific journals or scientific news papers? I only have about 3 months left.. I really want to get started to dig down hard.

English isn't my first language so I'm dreading on the RC..; I'm also thinking of getting a vocab book or sth.. were any of you in my shoes and can recommend any vocab book?

Any ideas would be appreciated.. Thanks guys!! :D

you got to get to work ASAP. take a course in speed reading. Iris is a good one I heard. read everyday and time yourself. reading science journals will def help. Nobody knows what the topics are in the RC sections. they are usually 2 science and 1 non-science.
be serious about it starting TODAY. :luck:

you got to get to work ASAP. take a course in speed reading. Iris is a good one I heard. read everyday and time yourself. reading science journals will def help. Nobody knows what the topics are in the RC sections. they are usually 2 science and 1 non-science.
be serious about it starting TODAY. :luck:

Thanks for your reply. I will def look into what you said about speed reading.. RC is my biggest enemy, since it's kinda hard to increase the scores in a short period of time :(

Some topics I have heard about and had myself are...(fungi, piano, floating bridges, alligators, penicillin, nuerotransmitters, cell signal transmission, advil... Like others have said, work on your speed reading

Members don't see this ad :)
Some topics I have heard about and had myself are...(fungi, piano, floating bridges, alligators, penicillin, nuerotransmitters, cell signal transmission, advil... Like others have said, work on your speed reading

Thanks.. appreciated! I will focus on my speed reading :D
I'm kinda nervous that I only have 3 months.. I'm trying to make the best out of it by asking questions and searching for similar threads here :p

One thing I've done to help is to read scientific journals, articles, and use Crack Reading to help with that. Once you practice then you can start refining your method. Some say use strictly search and destroy, some say mapping, I say say both. I've been spending about 20min per passage, which gives me about 3-5min to skim through passage to figure out tone, and then 15min to answer questions using search and destroy. If you search whithin the SDN database, you will find alot of useful tips. However, there is one thing to remember, and that is that no one who has taken the DAT will be able to tell you what was contained during there passages due to copyright rules. Just keep reading, and pick out key terms...

Flybry2000

One thing I've done to help is to read scientific journals, articles, and use Crack Reading to help with that. Once you practice then you can start refining your method. Some say use strictly search and destroy, some say mapping, I say say both. I've been spending about 20min per passage, which gives me about 3-5min to skim through passage to figure out tone, and then 15min to answer questions using search and destroy. If you search whithin the SDN database, you will find alot of useful tips. However, there is one thing to remember, and that is that no one who has taken the DAT will be able to tell you what was contained during there passages due to copyright rules. Just keep reading, and pick out key terms...

Flybry2000

Thanks Flybry :) good luck on your upcoming DAT exam!