Reading during internship - can't handle Rosen's or Tint

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I read?

• Rivers

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Just The Facts

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Baby Tintinalli

• Question books only (Peer VI, etc)

• Total voters

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my attempts at reading selections from Rosen's are failing miserably. We do 12's during our intern year at my program, and I'm pretty much completely spent after shifts. Days off are mostly dedicated to beer and catching up on Tivo'd Daily Shows. I'm planning on scaling down and reading selections from something with less bulk, ideally to read about 3-4 topics in 10-12 pages rather than 1 topic in 15-20 pages.

So if I were to choose just ONE of the following, which would give me the best bang for my buck in terms of comprehensive information?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could choose something else to read. We use Rosen for bookclub...about pages/week that I try to cram in my brain (we get quizzed during bookclub so it becomes apparent if we don't read). I don't think I can find time right now to read anything else, although I do own a baby Tint.

whats up man. I feel your pain. while my MICU schedule sucks, i do occasionaly get some down time during the night on call and i attempt to read...but not out of that tank of a book called Tintinalli. its usually some short 2 page article from uptodate. I dont get very far though.

Members don't see this ad :)
baby tint's good enough (with some UTDOL supplementation) to pass the inservice, i found... but not nearly enough detail.

even with 12's, you can find time during the week to read - tivo helps this: either don't FF through commercials and read then, or FF through them and read before/after. reading after a shift can be a real downer, as it often leads to sleep (at least in my case); but making a list of interesting stuff or patients you want to read up on, then spending a few hours during a stretch of no shifts can really help.

intern year's a brute... but time for good habits... d=)

-t,md

what do you guys think of rivers review book?

JkGrocerz said:
what do you guys think of rivers review book?
Excellent for just that: a review. It's not detailed enough to be used as a primary text.

Pick one book and stick with it. I really like Rosen's, especially the new colorful edition. Definitely the best text in my opinion. (The older edition was evenly matched with Tintinalli, but the new edition is a lot better.)