• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

adleyinga

Einstein
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Status
To the residents out there

How many of you are allowed to read in the OR?
I appreciate name of program where you are.

Students -if you know the policy of your institution I would appreciate that also.

To the guys in private practice- I don't really care because I know I would

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I'm very interested in what the "MD" only crowd thinks about this topic.

I personally don't read in the OR when I'm doing a case. I watch the monitors, dump the urine, and move the bed dutifully.

adleyinga

Einstein
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Status
militarymd said:

I personally don't read in the OR when I'm doing a case. I watch the monitors, dump the urine, and move the bed dutifully.
Don't you get bored after 4 hours of orthopedic surgeons playing with some extremity on a 24 year healthy patient? Or does surgeon always gone done in 2.

About the Ads

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
adleyinga said:
Don't you get bored after 4 hours of orthopedic surgeons playing with some extremity on a 24 year healthy patient? Or does surgeon always gone done in 2.
I do...that is why I have CRNAs sit in the room....and I ask them not to read.

supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
La Seychelles
www.physiciantravels.com
Status
Attending Physician
militarymd said:

do you think reading is better than sleeping? i read on some occasions and it helps me be more vigilant.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
militarymd said:

My dad did crossword puzzles at certain times during his international flights captaining a 747...so I'm all for reading-is-ok during certain times of certain cases.

Noyac

ASA Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
supahfresh said:
do you think reading is better than sleeping? i read on some occasions and it helps me be more vigilant.

reading puts me right to sleep :sleep:

Generally, I have no problem with reading in the OR. Its called multi-tasking and anesthesiologists are the best at it.

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I guess there is nothing "wrong" with it.

I just think it looks bad....the person who is supposed to monitor you while you sleep is doing something else.

Just a personal feeling.

supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
La Seychelles
www.physiciantravels.com
Status
Attending Physician
militarymd said:
I guess there is nothing "wrong" with it.

I just think it looks bad....the person who is supposed to monitor you while you sleep is doing something else.

Just a personal feeling.
so today i just read the patient's chart when i had time, and since he had a very bizarre hospital course, i found it very interesting. this should me more acceptable don't you think?

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
supahfresh said:
so today i just read the patient's chart when i had time, and since he had a very bizarre hospital course, i found it very interesting. this should me more acceptable don't you think?
I think that is socially acceptable.

About the Ads