Reading in the OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adleyinga

Einstein
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the residents out there

How many of you are allowed to read in the OR?
I appreciate name of program where you are.

Students -if you know the policy of your institution I would appreciate that also.

To the guys in private practice- I don't really care because I know I would

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very interested in what the "MD" only crowd thinks about this topic.

I personally don't read in the OR when I'm doing a case. I watch the monitors, dump the urine, and move the bed dutifully.

militarymd said:

I personally don't read in the OR when I'm doing a case. I watch the monitors, dump the urine, and move the bed dutifully.

Don't you get bored after 4 hours of orthopedic surgeons playing with some extremity on a 24 year healthy patient? Or does surgeon always gone done in 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
adleyinga said:
Don't you get bored after 4 hours of orthopedic surgeons playing with some extremity on a 24 year healthy patient? Or does surgeon always gone done in 2.

I do...that is why I have CRNAs sit in the room....and I ask them not to read.

militarymd said:

do you think reading is better than sleeping? i read on some occasions and it helps me be more vigilant.

militarymd said:

My dad did crossword puzzles at certain times during his international flights captaining a 747...so I'm all for reading-is-ok during certain times of certain cases.

supahfresh said:
do you think reading is better than sleeping? i read on some occasions and it helps me be more vigilant.

reading puts me right to sleep :sleep:

Generally, I have no problem with reading in the OR. Its called multi-tasking and anesthesiologists are the best at it.

I guess there is nothing "wrong" with it.

I just think it looks bad....the person who is supposed to monitor you while you sleep is doing something else.

Just a personal feeling.

militarymd said:
I guess there is nothing "wrong" with it.

I just think it looks bad....the person who is supposed to monitor you while you sleep is doing something else.

Just a personal feeling.

so today i just read the patient's chart when i had time, and since he had a very bizarre hospital course, i found it very interesting. this should me more acceptable don't you think?

supahfresh said:
so today i just read the patient's chart when i had time, and since he had a very bizarre hospital course, i found it very interesting. this should me more acceptable don't you think?

I think that is socially acceptable.