Reading/Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a new PGY2/first year derm resident, and just trying to get a feel for how everyone seems to set up their reading/note taking/etc. Obviously derm residency is very very different than intern year, and most of those ways are good! Unfortunately, with the insane volume of new information to learn, I now feel suddenly like I'm back in first/second year of medical school, and am a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Our program doesn't have a reading schedule, but rather is one of the programs that just has suggested topics as you go, and you do it on your own more or less. How do you guys approach this? I realize everyone is different, and that we're all smart/hard workers to have made it to this point, but I'm just feeling a tad lost. Do you just sit down and read a chapter or two of Bolognia each night? (our program uses Bolognia, btw). Do you take notes on this reading in a binder/notebook? Do you look to more concise sources most often?

I'm just worried I'm gonna have to regress back to my med school days of doing nothing but studying 24/7 (or at least feeling like I have to be doing that). That wasn't very fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I'm a new PGY2/first year derm resident, and just trying to get a feel for how everyone seems to set up their reading/note taking/etc. Obviously derm residency is very very different than intern year, and most of those ways are good! Unfortunately, with the insane volume of new information to learn, I now feel suddenly like I'm back in first/second year of medical school, and am a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Our program doesn't have a reading schedule, but rather is one of the programs that just has suggested topics as you go, and you do it on your own more or less. How do you guys approach this? I realize everyone is different, and that we're all smart/hard workers to have made it to this point, but I'm just feeling a tad lost. Do you just sit down and read a chapter or two of Bolognia each night? (our program uses Bolognia, btw). Do you take notes on this reading in a binder/notebook? Do you look to more concise sources most often?

I'm just worried I'm gonna have to regress back to my med school days of doing nothing but studying 24/7 (or at least feeling like I have to be doing that). That wasn't very fun.

Everyone has a different method. I've had colleagues who would only study on weekends, I've had colleagues with the discipline to read a chapter or two each night, I've had colleagues read from multiple sources (Bolognia + more concise sources), some take notes, some highlight, and others just blow through the reading but go back a 2nd or even 3rd time to digest the material

It does feel like med school initially but before long, you'll begin to build up that fund of knowledge