Reading Prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JetL011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope that this is the right forum and right place to ask my question. While my question is not about studying medicine, it is about medicine.

I received a prescription from my family doctor and I'd like to ask if someone could explain what the various symbols and abbreviations mean. I'd like to know because I am very interested in medicine, science, and becoming a physician.

The prescription:

Flovent, Symbol like two dots on a T (.. on a T), BID

M: 1 Puffer

So far, I understand that Flovent is the name of the medication and BID means bis in die which means twice a day. However, what does the M and the symbol mean?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is the "M" is really a sloppily-written pound sign ("#"), indicating the number of units (in this case the number of inhalers) to be dispensed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your replies, The Janitor & DrB!

Flovent, Symbol like two dots on a T (.. on a T), BID

M: 1 Puffer

Thank you!

The two dots over the "T" is the dosage: Two puffs twice daily. (BID means twice daily.)

Having said that, I would not trust a forum such as this to answer medical questions with surety. Ask the pharmacist for clarification. It's wiser.