Reading Tintinalli as an MS3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy3nding

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So call me crazy but I'm loving Emergency medicine, burn medicine (really an ICU), SICU, and MICU rotations. I feel quite sure about EM with possible CC fellowship. Not really surprising considering I worked in and around the ED for years before med school.

At this point how worth it would it be for me to read Tintinalli? I am already reading the 2,031 page tome and surprisingly loving it. I'm planning to do aways next year and hope to impress. Would you recommend another book/resource for a MS3? How would I best impress attendings on an EM away rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

A better book for med students is the Emergency Medicine Secrets book.

Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Tintinalli is a bit much. You just don't need that level of detail as a medical student and would most likely be better off using a more concise text with the remainder of your effort spent on mastering basic procedures and solidifying your H&P/presentation skills.

Everyone likes EM Secrets but I never got into the style. It's definitely great for random pimp questions. I like "EM Case Files" for a quick read and "An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine" for a more thorough text.

The best thing you can read though is probably "The 3-Minute Emergency Medicine Medical Student Presentation" article...

I'm not sure the utility of reading Tintinalli as a student. For your EM rotation, the previous suggestions are good along with EM pre test. Another book which you make like is the Gus Garmal EM book - it is less dense than Tintinalli.