1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading up for an internship...

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Grover2k9, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Grover2k9

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I am finishing up my sophomore year and I aquired a summer internship with an optometrist where i'll be doing some shadowing, pre-patient testing on some automated devices, and basic patient care.

I want to get more familiar with the field and more knowledgeable about the eye and the procedures i'll be performing before I get there. I figure if I make a good impression i'll get a better recommendation letter and get invited back next summer.

So... I need some literature. Anyone have some recomended reading for my situation? Aside from the optics section of physics, and the basica anatomy of the eye, I have little knowledge.

Here is one I stumbled upon - has anyone read/heard of it?

The Eye Exam: A Complete Guide by Gary S. Schwartz
    http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Exam-Complete-Guide/dp/1556427557/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3343859-2674315?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176223687&sr=8-1

I'd like a book that is not overly technical so that I am more likely to read it all the way through and understand it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aleeceeyah

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    i am a 2nd year biology major interested in getting a job this summer shadowing an Optometrist. i was just wondering how you went about getting it.

how did you approach them?

how did you tailor you resume?

how did you convince them to hire you?
    any help you can give me would be great thank you. the only thing i've ever wanted to do is be an optometrist but i don't know how to get into the field.

Thank you in advance
    have a great day

4. shannon804

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    It's not difficult to shadow, but you will find it difficult to find someone who is willing to pay you for shadowing. Just call up an optometrist's office and say you're interested in optometry and would like to spend some time observing at the office. The receptionist will talk to the OD and most likely get back to you. Be persistent and be proactive! (But don't think of it as a "summer job"; it will likely be more like volunteering for a few hours a week.)