Ready for more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rEliseMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With school gearing back up, just thought I'd start a beginning-of-a-new-year thread.

Do you have any 'new' year resolutions?

Mine are to be vigilant with reading assignments and do weekly flash cards instead of waiting until just before the test.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, I like this idea! :)

My "new" year resolutions are the following:

same as yours, "do weekly flash cards instead of waiting just before the test," if it's only for a tough subject where it's hard to grasp the concept. I like this idea for anatomy or physics class.

QUIT procrastinating! :p

Find a research topic that I can see myself sticking to throughout the Fall and Spring semester.

Manage my time WISELY!

I think these are the most important to me. I don't want to set up a huge list knowing it's too much on my plate.

I like this idea for anatomy or physics class.

Heck yes, that's partly why it's my main resolution for this year. I have a speech and hearing sciences course that's going to be heavy on the anatomy (my trouble area) so I figure the only way it'll hurt is I'll have 20 minutes less free time every week. Not a big deal for an A!

What are your classes like this semester?
I was supposed to take a psych course online but I've managed to piss the professor off already. I don't even know what I did, aside from asking for an in-person 'orientation' meeting in Pocatello to be broadcast in Meridian so I can make sure not to miss anything. She got all hissy and said the orientation stuff is in the syllabus and if I don't like the structure of the class I'm free to drop it. The best part is that she suggested I take the course after I emailed her at the end of last semester regarding my research project. Weird, huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would use Netter's Anatomy book. It's just filled with colorful pictures which helped me out tremendously. Check and see if your university library has it or you can find a great deal online somewhere. There are Nutter's flash cards, as well.

The classes I'm taking this semester are: Speech and Hearing Science - with a ton of physics in it (woot!), Audiology I, Articulation and Phonological Disorders, and a math course for next semester's Physics course.

I heard about your psych class! I think you told me on facebook? Good thing you dropped it, since it's expensive and time consuming to drive out there and back. There are plenty of Psych professors out there. Did you add a similar course on campus? Which psych course was it?

Last edited:
If I were you, I would use Nutter's Anatomy book. It's just filled with colorful pictures which helped me out tremendously. Check and see if your university library has it or you can find a great deal online somewhere. There are Nutter's flash cards, as well.

x2 on the Nutter's Anatomy book recommendation. As far as my resolutions go, I'd like to have a 'clinic bible' so to speak. Maybe make a notebook with all of the protocols sorted by clinic location, as well as a basic section. I have access to abundance of binders at work. I would add manage school related expenses better, but I got a parking ticket on the first day. That is the third consecutive year I have managed to pull off this remarkeable feat. And you guys facebook and leave me out of the loop? :( .. I'm on the network, 'UAMS'.

If I were you, I would use Nutter's Anatomy book. It's just filled with colorful pictures which helped me out tremendously.

I heard about your psych class! I think you told me on facebook? Good thing you dropped it, since it's expensive and time consuming to drive out there and back. There are plenty of Psych professors out there. Did you add a similar course on campus? Which psych course was it?

Thanks for the tip! If I feel like the professor's book isn't helping as much as it should, I'll definitely pick that up. I'd hate to offend my professor like that, though, without knowing how he'll teach the course. I've heard he's great.

I haven't actually dropped the psych course yet (it was psychology of learning and she's the only professor who teaches it). I wouldn't have to drive out there, really, but I just don't feel like dealing with a professor who hates me. It's not like I'm being lazy; I just don't have an extra $100 to spend on gas or ten hours to spend driving out there for one meeting. If she's that sensitive about providing me minutes of the orientation, I'd hate to see what she's like for the final exam! She's actually the first psych professor I've really had a problem with. Usually the psych professors have the best senses of humor and understand common sense. Anyway. No use dwelling on it; dropping the course is the simplest solution.

I have some electives I have to get and I don't want to get stuck without the credits this semester since I don't have a whole lot of time left to grab 'em. I may take an Organic Communication Disorders course instead because it's taught by a professor who (although he is sometimes a little boring) I'm sure I already like and who seems to have an okay opinion of me. But I don't know if I'll be able to grab it, so we'll see.

PS. Dusty, I added you on Facebook. :) Now you'll get to hear first-hand about my silly professor issues!

Usually the psych professors have the best senses of humor and understand common sense.

So true, the majority of them do. Back when I used to be a psych major (changed it because I couldn't myself dealing with people's problems all day long for the rest of my life), i had a few psych professors who were very witty! It was fun being witty back. snapping them back with sarcasm without trying to be rude was amusing. I wish i had CD professors like that, but it's all good.

Best wishes to that class. Hope she treats you better, if not, just do your best.

... i had a few psych professors who were very witty! It was fun being witty back. snapping them back with sarcasm without trying to be rude was amusing.

My psych101 course was taught by Dr Fuhr, a lady with fiery red hair and a killer sense of humor. My favorite class was the one in which she explained the hysteria in classical times during which it was believed that a barren woman's uterus could detach and travel around her body looking for children and that's why they were going crazy.

"I don't blame 'em!" she said, "If my uterus was in my shoulder, I'd be a little upset, too!"

Yeah, the root "hyster-" actually means "uterus." Think "hysterectomy."

The Netter book is something you'll reference later in your career - it's worth the investment even if your prof doesn't recommend it. It's used in most grad schools also.

Dust - the desk reference is your clinical bible...

-D

The Netter book is something you'll reference later in your career - it's worth the investment even if your prof doesn't recommend it. It's used in most grad schools also.

Dust - the desk reference is your clinical bible...

-D

A wise man named Tim Lim once told me the same thing, so I bought it. :) I was thinking in terms of a binder I can carry to my clinic site this semester.

Netter book and Flashcards are amazing. The pictures help a lot and the flashcards are even better, if you learn that way.

Another great clinical handbook resource would be Katz's Handbook of Clinical Audiology, isbn: 0683307657

Very comprehensive and thorough. Hope this helps!!