Step III REAL TALK: How much do I need to study for Step 3?

Started by IJL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IJL

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an AMG, prelim medicine intern. Step 1 and 2 both >260.

Can I get away with just doing QBANK for like a week or two? Do I need to study for a month? Can I take it cold?


Just trying to get some thoughts
 
Hey people. I did OK on step 1 = 230s, but did terrible on Step 2 CK= low 210s....

I didn't study much during 3rd year due to some personal troubles, but I studied for a few months, mainly going through Uworld before the exam. I really felt like my knowledge level was > than my score demonstrates.

Also didn't get much sleep before the exam and had significant trouble with timing during the exam. Was guessing blindly on the last 4-5 questions in each block, one block in particular, must have guessed on at least 8 or 9 questions. My lowest scored sections on Step 2 CK were 1) Pt care Management and 2) Disease Prevention and Surveillance. Also got crushed on OB and GYN sections.


Anyways, I am trying to devise a plan for Step 3. I don't need to demolish the exam, but I certainly do not want a repeat of Step 2. Should I consider revisiting study materials for Step 2 or just gear my prep towards Step 3? Any suggestions?
 
I'm an AMG, prelim medicine intern. Step 1 and 2 both >260.

Can I get away with just doing QBANK for like a week or two? Do I need to study for a month? Can I take it cold?


Just trying to get some thoughts

I'd take some time to familiarize yourself with the case software. How important actual studying would be (like actually using a whole qbank) would largely depend on if you comfortably passed the Steps. If you don't study for it your score will go down, but most people I know haven't lost more than 20 points even with pretty minimal review. My longer thoughts are here.