Realistic implementation of universal healthcare in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The problem of agreeing on military spending is a question of what you believe in. There is the realist and the liberal points of view.

Realist says we can do as much as we can to promote free trade, but people are still going to use militaristic force and unfair market pressures to gain an advantage in the global market, thus we always require a large safety force in order to combat that.

Liberal states that if we can obtain true free trade such that every nation depends on another for some good, there should be no need for war as we will become an inter-dependent world.

I'm not going to pass judgement on those that whole heatedly believe in the liberal view because I believe in free market principles and that they have powerful effects in the global economy. However, we sort of cheat at this because we subsidize a lot of products, but we only do it because everyone else does. The thing that pushes me towards realist is the presence of crazy rulers/leaders/dictators.

People like Kim Jong Un, Ahmadinejad, Putin, Hugo Chavez, and Bashar al-Assad scare me, because they are unpredictable and the goal of economic peace does not interest them. Even when we agree to reduce our nuclear stockpiles with Russia, they will never go down to zero. Why? Because you can't trust the other guy telling you what cards he has.

Thus, I am all for making our military one of the most technologically frightening so that attempting a true militaristic assault on the USA would be hopefully unimaginable, but certainly unfeasible. I genuinely did not like the decision made by our current president to cut funding to Future Combat Systems, because most of what they had in the pipeline sounded absolutely awesome.
Agree...
Top-Gun-Maverick-Sky-Striker_1321340606.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I believe in free market principles

even if taking only purely economic considerations, "free market principles" alone have not been proven to be effective or sufficient. we are at the very moment suffering from all the deregulation that was inflicted on us by the proponents of the supposedly self regulating "free market".

but that debate aside, economic arguments don't apply to human lives, and healthcare is not something that can be left to the whims of a market, free or not. Human lives are not tradable commodities, and morally all human lives are equally valuable, wether it is the billionaire, or the homeless guy.