Realistic Salary after Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownwolf100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Would someone with recent knowledge be able to comment on current starting salaries in anesthesia? I'm not looking to start a debate or make anyone upset - I'm just looking for what may be realistic, as my search has yielded everything from 150k to 500k. Is 300k reasonable and attainable at this point? What have current graduates been seeing and for what kind of work?

I appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Would someone with recent knowledge be able to comment on current starting salaries in anesthesia? I'm not looking to start a debate or make anyone upset - I'm just looking for what may be realistic, as my search has yielded everything from 150k to 500k. Is 300k reasonable and attainable at this point? What have current graduates been seeing and for what kind of work?

I appreciate any input!
If I am correct, you’re a MS3? Are you thinking about anesthesia? Where are you thinking about practice? Fellowship? What kinds of scores you got? Just trying to get some info, so can give you better info.
300 is attainable. In NYC will have you work much harder than in Wyoming. Or you can hustle and do locum, at $200-300/hr. Or you can just do medical supervision and pray your CRNA doesn’t kill anyone and make more.
It’s not as simple as say, yes you can always make 300! The questions are, what kind of work are you welling to do? Is Q2 acceptable to you? I’ve seen work at Q2 and guarantee 500, are you game? And how long can you sustain that kind of hours?

If I am correct, you’re a MS3? Are you thinking about anesthesia? Where are you thinking about practice? Fellowship? What kinds of scores you got? Just trying to get some info, so can give you better info.
300 is attainable. In NYC will have you work much harder than in Wyoming. Or you can hustle and do locum, at $200-300/hr. Or you can just do medical supervision and pray your CRNA doesn’t kill anyone and make more.
It’s not as simple as say, yes you can always make 300! The questions are, what kind of work are you welling to do? Is Q2 acceptable to you? I’ve seen work at Q2 and guarantee 500, are you game? And how long can you sustain that kind of hours?

Thank you for the honest reply. Yes, I am an M3. Planning to apply anesthesia - after a lot of self-reflection, I think I would enjoy the work more in this field than any other even with the changes I've been reading about.
-No firm geographical ties for practice - maybe North or South Carolina? Pretty open here, but would like to be near (within an hour or so) of a larger metropolitan area.
-Step 1 and Level 1 (DO student) are the only scores I have right now. Step 1 is a 249. Level 1 is about 90th percentile. No research, but a variety of ECs.
-Honestly the only reason I ask is because I will have about 450k in loans after interest accumulates in residency. This scares me, and I want to pay it off quickly after starting practice. I figure making 330k before taxes are taken out would put me in a good spot to pay that off in 5-6 years

-Maybe someone can correct me if I'm way off here, but I'd hope to work about 50 hour weeks. 1 week of call. I would like to have my weekends free, with one weekend of call. Maybe 8 weeks of vacation. I'd be open to working more too - esp at first - but I really don't have a frame of reference for what it will actually be like in practice.

I guess the bottom line is I'm pretty open/flexible with a variety of factors including the type of practice. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm headed into.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the honest reply. Yes, I am an M3. Planning to apply anesthesia - after a lot of self-reflection, I think I would enjoy the work more in this field than any other even with the changes I've been reading about.
-No firm geographical ties for practice - maybe North or South Carolina? Pretty open here, but would like to be near (within an hour or so) of a larger metropolitan area.
-Step 1 and Level 1 (DO student) are the only scores I have right now. Step 1 is a 249. Level 1 is about 90th percentile. No research, but a variety of ECs.
-Honestly the only reason I ask is because I will have about 450k in loans after interest accumulates in residency. This scares me, and I want to pay it off quickly after starting practice. I figure making 330k before taxes are taken out would put me in a good spot to pay that off in 5-6 years

-Maybe someone can correct me if I'm way off here, but I'd hope to work about 50 hour weeks. 1 week of call. I would like to have my weekends free, with one weekend of call. Maybe 8 weeks of vacation. I'd be open to working more too - esp at first - but I really don't have a frame of reference for what it will actually be like in practice.

I guess the bottom line is I'm pretty open/flexible with a variety of factors including the type of practice. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm headed into.

Most AMCs (anesthesia management companies) will pay in the low 300s for a new graduate. After Board certification and 3 years of experience the salary rises to the $350-$400k range. The work week typically averages around 50 hours per week with call in the range you stated. Vacation varies from 6-9 weeks depending on the AMC and type of job.

Hospital employed positions may pay a little more in the $400-$475k range vs the AMC. Typically, better locations means those employers are looking for experienced or fellowship training in Cardiac (that's the most common).

If you prefer metropolitan areas over rural I recommend a Cardiac fellowship.

Reactions: 4 users