Really, Badly Need Your Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passi0nFruittts

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 8 and you should receive several interviews. For MD I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
NOVA MD
Loma Linda
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Kaiser, Roseman, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
What was your school list for this cycle? You may have just shot a little too high. I'm sure if you take a year and go all in on serving under-served folks, you'll be great for many mid-tier schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly? If you dont start in 2019 will then move to a different career path? are you willing to reapply without much improvement in your application, thus likely being rejected again and making your chances of ever becoming a doctor much, much lower? You submitted in June and have no, none, nada, zilch, zero additional volunteering since then and only now are you looking to enhance your application even this is the weakest part of your application? Your non-clinical work is health research, you have diabetes molecular research, you have plenty of that but not nearly enough clinical and non clinical work to even consider applying in the first place. Your summary is a great example of why applicants shouldnt reapply immediately as they are nearly blind to their chances in the first place. So I suggest you get your head out of your A$$, and seriously consider a major time investment for a year or two in clinical and community service projects perhaps even Americorps, Teach for America, Peace Corps etc.

I understand what you’re saying and will keep it in mind as I determine my next steps and speak to an advisor. Like I said, finances and family issues are what’s making it hard for me to wait another year, but if multiple people tell me to wait then I’ll have no other choice.

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 8 and you should receive several interviews. For MD I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
NOVA MD
Loma Linda
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Kaiser, Roseman, etc.)
Thanks for your input. Do you think I should also wait a year as others have noted before applying to DO schools?

What was your school list for this cycle? You may have just shot a little too high. I'm sure if you take a year and go all in on serving under-served folks, you'll be great for many mid-tier schools

Thank you for replying. I posted my school list above. It’s probably my description of my activities but aside from my lab research, the rest rest are aimed towards underserved communities since I live in LA. By “take a year” did you also mean a year before applying?

You do not need to wait a year before applying to DO schools. You are foregoing $200,000+ of income as a physician by waiting another year.