Really Dim Light on Retinoscope and Ophthalmoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armstrong77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have Welch Allyn equipment that I bought over five years ago. The light is really dim now - I notice it particularly when I'm doing ret.

What needs replacing? The lithium ion battery or the lightbulb, or both?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Our class has the Welch-Allyn kit and they gave us replacement bulbs with them. I'd guess that first.

That's what happens when you buy a Crap-Allyn. :p:p

Yeah, evidently our school figured that out and bought Heine kits for the class entering this year! No fair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys sure? I'm personally guessing it's the battery that doesn't seem to take the same full charge that it did when it was brand new.

Anyone know from experience??

Btw - every diagnostic kit goes through the same "aging" process. In my experience, the dimmest Retinoscopes on the market are Keeler's.

Yeah, evidently our school figured that out and bought Heine kits for the class entering this year! No fair.

I liked Keeler or Heine. Personally I would take Keeler because it was easier to hold and handle. Also the Keeler had the brighest light.

I've never liked any of the W-A products.

Replace the cheaper one first :)

Yea straight up they are pretty sweet

Yea straight up they are pretty sweet

ALL the stuff y'all got is pretty sweet... the current third years were pissed when they gave us huge rolling bags to carry our stuff in... we're pissed b/c they gave you really nice hard cases with compartments for your equipment and Heine diagnostic kits... :D

well if it makes you feel better c/o 2013 will probably get that gold plated stethoscope I have been wanting since childhood...

We get to choose between W-A, Heine & Keeler. I can't decide between the Heine and Keeler...