Really Late Application, Please Give Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nate222

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I'm a senior and I've decided i'm going to apply to dental school. I'm a biology major, with only a few classes left to graduate. I've taken most of the pre-reqs for dental school. I'd only need to take 2 next semester to finish them up.

I'm from Indiana and would like to attend IUSD for obvious reasons (close to home, in-state tuition). My GPA is 3.65 and science around 3.5, which are on par with the averages listed on IUSD's website for their acceptances. I haven't started studying for the DAT yet, but the only difficult course I have this semester is biochem, so I could dedicate some time to it. Do you think I have a chance at the 2009 cycle if I took the DAT in December? I could probably have my LORs in around that time as well. I've had some exposure to the medical field because I originally thought that is what I wanted to do, but I shadowed a dentist last week and really enjoyed it. I could probably be able to get some shadowing done on the weekends maybe? I know IUSD favors heavily on in-state residents, and I have at or above average stats. I'm not sure if it would be a waste to start now, or maybe I should just wait until the spring and take my time then apply for the 2010 cycle. I could probably do the accelerated one year post-bac program at the IUPUI campus where IUSD is located. Any thoughts are appreciated. PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely wait, December is too late.

Hey, that rhymes.

I'm a biology major, with only a few classes left to graduate. I've taken most of the pre-reqs for dental school. I'd only need to take 2 next semester to finish them up.

I'm from Indiana and would like to attend IUSD for obvious reasons (close to home, in-state tuition). My GPA is 3.65 and science around 3.5, which are on par with the averages listed on IUSD's website for their acceptances. I could probably do the accelerated one year post-bac program at the IUPUI campus where IUSD is located. Any thoughts are appreciated. PLEASE HELP!

Of the 44 students accepted at IUSD, 7 were accepted after Dec. 1. (www.predents.com) While the numbers are most certainly not representative of the class since we are not dealing with a random sample it will give you a starting point from which to draw your conclusion. With the gpa you are claiming to have why not consider a M.S. degree rather that a post-bac since you likely to get more mileage from the former.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be possible to enter the dental program after one year of the M.S.? I would really rather not wait 2 full years before entering the program. What do you think the admissions committee would think of me getting a job for a year instead of going to school and still applying for the 2010 cycle?

just study one month for it and take the DAT

What books/methods do you think I should use over the next couple months to study for it? Destroyer? Kaplan?

Would it be possible to enter the dental program after one year of the M.S.? I would really rather not wait 2 full years before entering the program. What do you think the admissions committee would think of me getting a job for a year instead of going to school and still applying for the 2010 cycle?

DS will be more interested in your stats than what you did during the summer.

What books/methods do you think I should use over the next couple months to study for it? Destroyer? Kaplan?

Check the DAT section, especially the predents that score high, they give a break down of what to use for each section. Check especially the recent threads.

Im takin the DAT End of September and I haven't started Gen or Orgo if that makes you feel any better but I study like 8 hours a day. As far as timing, if your committed to it go for it, I called literally 8 schools, each of them telling me my application getting there for October is sufficient timing. Lemme know if you have any further Qs

I would wait to apply for 2010, get some more shadowing under your belt, study hard for the DAT. Especially if you can't get in your application 'til December. I know that for Texas, your application and materials must be in by October! I think you would have a better shot if you waited until next year. Goodluck!