Really low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busyybeautyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need help, my GPA is currently a 2.7 (this is my overall gpa) and i'm a pre-med student.
I graduate in May 2016.
Any tips on how to bring up my GPA?
for example if i get a 3.5 gpa this coming fall semester then my 2.7 will go up to a 3.1 (did i calculate that right?)

-thanks

Members don't see this ad.

We need to know how many units you have already and how many units you have this semester in order to tell you. But since you're about to graduate, I'm thinking you have quite a bit of units already so you're probably not calculating it correctly.

this coming fall i'll be taking 16 units and i have taken 94.55 units this includes my spring semester i just finished.
We need to know how many units you have already and how many units you have this semester in order to tell you. But since you're about to graduate, I'm thinking you have quite a bit of units already so you're probably not calculating it correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you taken the MCAT?
What have you done outside of class?
Research?
Volunteering?
Hobbies?
Clubs?
Etc..

Hi Guys,

I need help, my GPA is currently a 2.7 (this is my overall gpa) and i'm a pre-med student.
I graduate in May 2016.
for example if i get a 3.5 gpa this coming fall semester then my 2.7 will go up to a 3.1 (did i calculate that right?)

-thanks

The only way to bring up your GPA is to get as many A's as possible. Work hard. If your study strategy isn't working, find a way to study that gets you to learn the material better and get that A. If answering questions is difficult, find an outside resource with questions on the topic. If you just can't buckle down and study, try using an app that limits your internet time or involving other people in your studying to keep you honest and focused.

There are lots of ways to go about this, but you need to do well from now on if you want to bring up your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
No i haven't taken the the MCAT yet because i still didn't take some of the subjects that the MCAT covers.
I started an AMSA chapter at my school with a few other pre-med students.
And i have a shadowing internship this summer.
And i usually take summer classes
Have you taken the MCAT?
What have you done outside of class?
Research?
Volunteering?
Hobbies?
Clubs?
Etc..

Hi Guys,

I graduate in May 2016.

-thanks

sorry, but you are miscalculating the GPA....you need to just keep getting A's and throw in a few retakes for you DO grade replacement....an MD without a serious postbac will be unlikely

The only way to bring up your GPA is to get as many A's as possible. Work hard. If your study strategy isn't working, find a way to study that gets you to learn the material better and get that A. If answering questions is difficult, find an outside resource with questions on the topic. If you just can't buckle down and study, try using an app that limits your internet time or involving other people in your studying to keep you honest and focused.

There are lots of ways to go about this, but you need to do well from now on if you want to bring up your GPA.

Tantacles is correct is saying that you need many semesters of As in order to get your GPA up to an acceptable range. And when we mean As we mean 4.0 across the board. Every B from here on out will not help you that much.
Example with your current credits:
Fall Semester - Straight As (4.0) = new GPA: 2.89
Next Spring Semester (assuming 16 units again) - Straight As (4.0) = new GPA: 3.01

As you can see, this is with a 4.0. Any grades below a 4.0 will result in a lower GPA than shown.
In your situation, taking advantage of DO replacement would be wise. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Guys,

I graduate in May 2016.

-thanks
Find better ways to study because clearly what you are doing now is not working.

No a 3.5 for one semester will not raise a 2.7 to a 3.1. Not by a long a shot. At this point it is probably too late to increase your GPA enough to be competitive for MD. As others have said DO is a better option and even then you will still need straight A's for the rest of your undergrad and your GPA will still be low. A post-bacc will likely be necessary

Go to your school's learning or education ceneter and get tips on testing taking skills, and help with your learning style and most importantly, time mgt.

Retake every F/D/C science course grade.

Hi Guys,

I graduate in May 2016.

-thanks

Reactions: 1 user