Really messed up this semester :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giselle208

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!! I am a pre-dental student at a public texas university. i just completed my sophomore year.

Grade wise here is where I am at (science grades only):

Semester 1:
Gen Chem 1: A

Semester 2:
Gen Chem 2: C
Math: A

Semester 3:
Bio 1: A
Ochem 1: B

Semester 4:
Bio 2: B
Ochem 2: C

Ugh this semester... I don't wanna sit here and make excuses. Ultimately, it boiled down to lack of time due to me having to drive home every weekend due to family and health issues which really cut into a lot of study time. Bio 2 requires a lot of studying each week to keep up and that landed ochem on the back burner and tbh, it took me too long into the semester to get a grip on time management.

So right now, my overall GPA is a 3.49 and sGPA a 3.2ish

So here are my future semester science classes:

Semester 5:
A&P 1
Biochem 1
Genetics

Semester 6:
Microbiology
Cellular Biology (not in my degree plan, taking it to help boost my sGPA since I have 2 C's!)

Summer 2019: applying to dental school
Physics 1
Physics 2
Math

Semester 7:
Biochem 2
A&P 2

I truly think I have a firm grip on my study habits now and I know I am capable of making A's in science courses! I'm not stupid and I truly do enjoy my science classes. If I make straight A's the next two semesters, my overall GPA will be around a 3.65 I believe and sGPA a 3.48 at time of application. I will submit my application and update after taking two physics courses at CC which, if I make A's, will bump sGPA up to 3.56.

I am taking the DAT this summer. I am studying diligently and hoping to score well! I know my ochem grades aren't stellar, but the vast majority of my mistakes were just stupid mistakes. I liked the material and understood it and hopefully can score high on the DAT to prove I am capable. As for gen chem 2, that class I studied hard for, but my brain struggled to comprehend it! Idk why but even in high school, second semester AP Chem was a struggle for me. Hoping Chad's videos can save me!

Extracurriculars:
2 clubs (including pre-dental).
By the time of application I should have:
100 hours volunteering at an animal shelter
100+ shadowing hours
50 hours volunteering at a non-profit clinic
50 hours volunteering at an elementary school
Horse back riding

Ultimately, I think I am looking for reassurance because that Ochem grade really has me scared. Aiming for texas schools of course, top choice would be Texas A&M COD. I know I still have a chance, but just how good of a chance do I really? Although I know its hard to say without a DAT score. I am hoping, if I get straight A's, that the upward trend helps in my favor. I know I am capable of A's! I just didn't put in the work and plan accordingly but lesson learned and I plan to have a strict daily study schedule once I get my syllabuses for next semester.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be carefull taking heavy sciences courses in the summer like that, especially Physics. Don't be a hero. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

And messing up would be considered getting an F, which you have not. Maybe ease up on the workload to assure an A.

You'll be fine, learn from your mistakes, work hard. Play the long game. Not about graduating on time, its about getting into dental school.

Reactions: 2 users
Be carefull taking heavy sciences courses in the summer like that, especially Physics. Don't be a hero. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

And messing up would be considered getting an F, which you have not. Maybe ease up on the workload to assure an A.

You'll be fine, learn from your mistakes, work hard. Play the long game. Not about graduating on time, its about getting into dental school.
Thanks!

Both physics will be taken at community college which has good professors with a high grade distribution of A’s. One will be taken during summer session 1 and the other in the next one. Lots of people I know have done it and easily gotten a’s.

As for next semester, those are my only classes besides online English. I won’t have any classes Monday or Friday giving me plenty of time to study so I do think if I study diligently I can get all A’s. And at this point, it’s too late to change my schedule for next semester :/ Thank you for the advice! I’ll make sure my course load is lighter next Spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got B- in O Chem 1 and 2. I scored a 26 in the OChem section of the DAT. Got into 4 schools. Do well on the DAT in any subjects where your grades weren't what you wanted and you will be fine. Keep a positive trend and i think you will have plenty of options for school. Good luck :)

Thanks!

Both physics will be taken at community college which has good professors with a high grade distribution of A’s.

I took Physics 1 at a CC over the summer (condensed into 5 weeks) and I regret it. I got a 79.8 in the class with lots of hard work (so close to a B!! I was pretty upset about that.) The fast pace made it very difficult, especially when it was so nice out and the last thing I wanted to do was study. However I took Physics 2 in a regular semester and easily got an A. So know you limits and strengths. Personally I did not do well rushing through a course like physics. Slow and steady wins the race! But again, you know yourself best. So do what works best for you. That's just my nugget of advice.

EDIT: To be fair, my professor was a MIT grad and pretty notorious for rarely giving out As, but I know I could have gotten one if I took the course in a normal 15 week format. Physics takes understanding -which takes time.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more!

You’re fine, finish strong with an upward trend and do well on your DAT. I had an F in Ochem (retoke for an A) and B- in Orgo 2 with multiple Cs in my sciences early on. I finished my last 3 semesters with a 3.9 average, just be honest with yourself in what you need to change and go after it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took Physics 1 at a CC over the summer (condensed into 5 weeks) and I regret it. I got a 79.8 in the class with lots of hard work (so close to a B!! I was pretty upset about that.) The fast pace made it very difficult, especially when it was so nice out and the last thing I wanted to do was study. However I took Physics 2 in a regular semester and easily got an A. So know you limits and strengths. Personally I did not do well rushing through a course like physics. Slow and steady wins the race! But again, you know yourself best. So do what works best for you. That's just my nugget of advice.

EDIT: To be fair, my professor was a MIT grad and pretty notorious for rarely giving out As, but I know I could have gotten one if I took the course in a normal 15 week format. Physics takes understanding -which takes time.
Oh tikes, good to know! I go to an engineering dominated school so physics as my regular university is hell. Especially since the better professor just retired... The CC I plan on taking it at has good professors that are "Easy A's" as far as sciences go. The professor I hope to take has been taken by a few of my friends over the summer and they all got A's. But I will be sure to make the decision carefully come next summer!

You’re fine, finish strong with an upward trend and do well on your DAT. I had an F in Ochem (retoke for an A) and B- in Orgo 2 with multiple Cs in my sciences early on. I finished my last 3 semesters with a 3.9 average, just be honest with yourself in what you need to change and go after it.

Thank you so much! This makes me feel way better:) I am gonna make every effort to finish strong!

I had a similar situation I received C’s in one part of ochem and gen chem, keep working hard and prepare well for your DAT and you’ll be okay, I’ve been accepted to Texas A&M and let me tell you as long as you keep up the good work and explain in your app why you didn’t do so good this previous semester then you’ll be okay!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user