Really need advice -- please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokie11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I don't know how many others feel this way, but I basically feel like I need to start college all over again knowing what I do now. I came in as a psychology major, knowing I wanted to do something with this field. I basically have grown up thinking B's were good enough, but little did I know, a competitive GPA to pursue this subject further needed to be mainly A's. Furthermore, I couldn't find actual ways to get involved until my junior year...I was in a lab and ran experiments, but didn't really do any of my own research so I'm not sure if you could call it "research experience." Then, I've been totally busting my butt this semester, participating in 2 additional labs, volunteering at a crisis hotline (since spring semester and this summer), and in an internship at a mental health and substance abuse services organization. I've been in over my head with all these things because I finally realized I needed to step it up a notch. As a consequence, I'll be honest, my GPA and GRE scores aren't what you would call competitive.

Basically, I feel like everything I've done thus far has been a waste just because of my scores, so my self esteem is totally shot. I know what I want to do -- I've been incredibly interested in health psychology and the biopsychosocial model, doing research focused on coping with disease, stress management, and oncology...possibly therapy. I'm thinking about taking a year off to build up my resume and retake the GRE, but I just don't know where/what to do with my time. If anyone has been in this situation before and can share a happy ending with me, or any advice, I would appreciate it so much. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's going to be really tricky for anyone here to give you an honest answer without more quantifiable information. How bad we talking on the GPA and GRE? You have one year left in undergraduate?

I think it's going to be really tricky for anyone here to give you an honest answer without more quantifiable information. How bad we talking on the GPA and GRE? You have one year left in undergraduate?

I have a 3.42 cumulative, 3.5 in-major psych GPA. I got a 1020 on my GRE, but I'm planning on retaking it...but I have 3 really good letters of recommendation, and I've been really involved with research. I only have a semester left to pull up my GPA, which has been difficult since I've been trying to balance so many things. I guess my question is, what's the most important thing to do right now to increase my chances of getting in to a good program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I think you would be a very strong candidate for a terminal masters program (provided you can get your GRE up somewhat), and that could be your stepping stone to a PhD program. In a masters program, you'll have an opportunity to show that you can handle grad-level coursework/demands, refocus yourself a bit, and get your stats up.

It's a slightly longer road than going straight into a PhD program, obviously, but it's definitely shorter than starting college all over again! (I say this tongue-in-cheek)

Good luck!

well, I don't have a happy ending yet, but like you I didn't get the best grades or much research experience as an undergrad. So I took some time off and am now working as an RA in lab doing research similar to what I'm interested. I'm incredibly glad I did, and I can tell I am going to be a much stronger applicant because of it. Nothing is wrong with taking time off, especially if you're scrambling to get everything in during college.

I had a similar GPA, due to a serious illness in college. I took two graduate level classes my last semester, did well on my GRE and was accepted into a solid, university-based Ph.D. program. So, you may not need to undertake an entire MA, but just succeed in some grad courses.

(And re-take your GREs.)

well, I don't have a happy ending yet, but like you I didn't get the best grades or much research experience as an undergrad. So I took some time off and am now working as an RA in lab doing research similar to what I'm interested. I'm incredibly glad I did, and I can tell I am going to be a much stronger applicant because of it. Nothing is wrong with taking time off, especially if you're scrambling to get everything in during college.
What exactly did you do to get a job as an RA? I've been told to email faculty directly from universities that you'd want to eventually go to, but when did you start doing that? I'm graduating in May.

What exactly did you do to get a job as an RA? I've been told to email faculty directly from universities that you'd want to eventually go to, but when did you start doing that? I'm graduating in May.

Universities are not the only places to get research experience, although they are a rich source.

You can also look into research institutes and medical centers.

@ hokie11: I did it the stupid way, by applying to a ton (I'm talking 100+) online postings at universities, hospitals with research, pretty much any place. I was already a year out of school, but if you are in school I would recommend asking professors if they know any job postings at other places, because networking like that can help a lot. Cold emailing researchers whose work is similar to what you want to do is nerve wracking but probably more successful than online apps (take time in crafting your cover letter, and attach a similarly well-prepared CV).
Most places hire 1-3 months in advance, so now is probably too early to start in May.
good luck!

I have a 3.42 cumulative, 3.5 in-major psych GPA. I got a 1020 on my GRE, but I'm planning on retaking it...but I have 3 really good letters of recommendation, and I've been really involved with research. I only have a semester left to pull up my GPA, which has been difficult since I've been trying to balance so many things. I guess my question is, what's the most important thing to do right now to increase my chances of getting in to a good program?

Get the GRE up, you can't do much about the GPA, but fortunately it's high enough that you can overcome it with solid research experience and a great GRE score.

Mark