really need an ENGLISH course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketball

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyoneSo I will be writting my MCAT in August, and I was wondering if it is critical for me to take an english course before the big day.I haven't taken a single course in English, and I got around 89-90% in high school. Also, I am a sophomore, and I guess I'm a bit slow reader...Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

:confused: huh? Writing the MCAT? Well first, most medical schools require or at least recommend that you take some sort of english courses. Second, have you tried taking a practice verbal section of the MCAT? You will find that it does not take kindly to slow readers.

Writing a test is the British way of saying taking a test.

The first poster is correct, you have to increase your reading comprehension. I recommend reading magazines such as Time, Economist, etc. Also read classical works of literature, even things like Frankenstein and Dracula. The bottom line is just to read, read , read.

Writing a test is the British way of saying taking a test.

Oh haha, sorry. Once I read "writing" a test, I thought the OP was really lacking in terms of verbal skills. My fault.

Anyway, to further illustrate mmmcdowe's point I will give you a personal example. I was scoring around 7's when I first took the practice verbal section. After I took more practice tests and several writing/reading intensive courses last semester, I am now scoring consistent 11's. The point is, keep reading and taking practice tests; because honestly, the verbal section would be pretty brutal for you if you have not taken an english course since high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost all medical schools require 6 hours (2 courses) in English to apply so you should plan on signing up for an English class in the spring if you can because you will need it when you apply.

You will need the courses for pre-req's at many schools. Whether or not you need them for the MCAT is a matter of opinion. If you are an admitted 'slow reader' you will need to do quite a few timed practice sessions to get ready to take the MCAT. I am of the opinion it is better for the most part to take the verbal studying into your own hands rather than relying on some generic course that will not be tailored to what you need. However, unless you are an English whiz, which most pre-meds aren't, you will need to practice a lot.

I didn't take a single English course in college (writing or composition). I ended up with a 10 and 11 on the MCAT Verbal, the two times I took it. With that said though, I think it depends a lot on your performance on "verbal" type standardized exams in the past...I mean I went in with a SAT verbal of 760 and a 5 on the AP English lang / comp exams, so I felt reasonably confident not taking English courses in college.

What I didn't think about of course was, what adcoms would say. I did take plenty of writing credits, just not any English comp / language - I used AP credit for that. Maybe I'm not getting many interviews because of this. Any thoughts?