1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Really Need Help/Advice

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by 239493, Dec 31, 2008.

1. 239493

Pre-Pharmacy
    Alright, I am taking the PCAT on Jan 24. I just started studying Monday and reviewed math in the Kaplan book. I wish I could have started studying earlier, but I had to ace my classes for the semester. I am trying to get into the University of Rhode Island School Of Pharmacy, which is extremely difficult to get into. So basically I have 23 days to study for this thing, I need advice because I am freaking out and i need to score at least a 400 to get in. Any suggestions?

2. FarscapeGirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I don't know how long it's been since you've been in school and taking classes, but I found that the Kaplan book did not have nearly enough Calculus and Statistics in the math section (and way too much geometry). They also did not have enough organic chemistry in the chemistry section (the rest of the chemistry sections seemed to cover gen. chem well enough). If you're just using the Kaplan book, I'd supplement the math and chemistry sections somehow.

Oh, and I usually do fine on vocab, but you might want to look at some list of vocab words. There doesn't seem to be a good one for the PCAT. Maybe use one for the GRE?

3. FarscapeGirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Oh, and try not to freak out and work on your timing. The first time I took the PCAT, I ran out of time on the math and chemistry sections. The second time, I didn't. Make sure you practice pacing yourself.

4. JURGIS

JURGIS Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I agree with FarscapeGirl. Kaplan does not cover math well enough for what you need. I suggest Schaum's College Algebra and Schaum's Precalculus books. Also suggest you purchase practice tests from Pearson (2 for $57) and CliffNotes 5 PCAT Practice Tests.

I'm taking Jan PCAT as well. I scored low 60s in Math last time I took it in June 08. I'm spending about 75 hours for math section alone and about another 75 for Biology and Chemistry sections. Not too worried about Reading, Verbal or Essay portions.

5. stealthy1

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm taking it this Jan too, and its my first time. I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm already a 2nd year student (and I just started cramming too) so much of this stuff is already drilled into my mind. Math is just practice, and for chemistry, there really isn't much you can do about organic chemistry except trying to remember the reactions. If it helps, try finding an organic chemistry textbook and reading some of the stuff. For math, I recommend this site: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

HTH!

6. 239493

Pre-Pharmacy
    the school im trying to get into requires a minimum 400 to get in. is a 400 something that is hard to get or is relatively possible?

7. Asian Girl

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Does school accept transfer student?

8. 239493

Pre-Pharmacy
    umm university of rhode island, I am not sure about students from other schools, but I do know that they take kids from URI only if there are seats available. You see, it is a school with no pre-pharmacy and kids are accepted out of highschool. But some kids drop out of the program so there are seats available. You can transfer into them your 3rd year after you have met all your re-reqs, but they only take the best of the peopl trying to transfer. It is very competitive.

9. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you be ight raan

10. 239493

Pre-Pharmacy